Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Toughest Decision

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:19 PM
  • 30 Replies

Today I made a very tough, personal choice. 

Backstory: I am a Prek teacher, which I love, but was just tired of the job in general. I was underpaid, underappreciated, and just downright tired of the bullcrap sometimes. I loved the kids, loved what I was doing, but with budget cuts and not enough money to supply my classroom with anything I was going out of pocket not to mention the daycare costs for my 2 little ones was SKY HIGH! 

My husband and I made the decision that I was going to stay home with my kiddos. Turns out they laid me off the week before I was going to turn in my notice (I was going to work through the rest of the year). I had told ONE close friend of mine who worked there I was going to resign at the end of the year and she went and told them (she wanted my position which she got!) Anyway they said they needed someone who was a "team player" and had their whole heart in it which they believed I did not (not true I still miss my Prekindergarteners everyday!)

I have been at home for a little over 3 months now, and where as I love every second of being home with my little ones I have the urge to go back to work. I since have filled out 10 applications and have an interview for one place Monday and another place had an on the spot interview and she wants to set up an official one. 

I am happy because I feel I need to provide for our family, but sad that I won't be home all day with my kids (however my oldest starts Kindergarten in August). My youngest will be 2 in May. One of the biggest reasons I want to work is we want one more baby. There is no way on earth I can afford another one on my husbands salary (plus we are moving to a bigger place). My friends think I am coming off selfish not "taking care" of the child we have. Even though she would be in daycare part of the time it's not like we are going to have a kid within the year. I wanted to start trying spring of next year. I want to make sure our ducks are all in a row and pay off our remaining debt (one credit card left whoo hoo!) before we have another! I love my girls with all my heart, but I really want to work too.

Btw this is the first time I have ever been home with the kids I've been working since before I had them so we took a huge financial blow that I am still feeling terrible about. My husband has been working oodles amounts of over time to pay for the slack.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy053008
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:27 PM

bumpity

debramommyof4
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:36 PM

It is your decision.  While it can be really hard to stay home, it can also be really hard to go to work.  It depends on what is best for your family.  Good luck on the job interviews. 

I personally have 4 children and stay home.  We also homeschool.  So the kids are with me all day though my kids are going into 2nd, 1st, and prek, plus a toddler.

mommy053008
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Wow you are brave. I love staying home but a part of me feels like I need to contribute I've never stayed home before and I feel antsy to get back to work, but at the same time I know my kid deserves me too. I just feel so torn.

Quoting debramommyof4:

It is your decision.  While it can be really hard to stay home, it can also be really hard to go to work.  It depends on what is best for your family.  Good luck on the job interviews. 

I personally have 4 children and stay home.  We also homeschool.  So the kids are with me all day though my kids are going into 2nd, 1st, and prek, plus a toddler.

Rembrandt2186
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I know how you feel. I currently Stay at home with my two kids, 2.5 and 8.5 months and it is rough on me. I miss socializing with "humans" lol. DH is gone all the time at work and I feel really lonely. I just starting consulting for a book company and it is keeping me busy, although it hasn't taken off yet. Hopefully soon I will feel like I am contributing again. 

mommy053008
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:00 PM

glad someone feels the way I do. it's hard to feel that way.

Quoting Rembrandt2186:

I know how you feel. I currently Stay at home with my two kids, 2.5 and 8.5 months and it is rough on me. I miss socializing with "humans" lol. DH is gone all the time at work and I feel really lonely. I just starting consulting for a book company and it is keeping me busy, although it hasn't taken off yet. Hopefully soon I will feel like I am contributing again. 

momofsixangels
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I hope you make the choice that fits you best.GL
TheartAH
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:23 PM
I was in a similar situation. Worked at dc center for years but after DD2 was born I was just miserable (even though I was well paid and a lead teacher). I quit for a year (we had to use savings during that time) then opened a small dc/preschool out of my home. I love it! The hardest part is def the social isolation though but it's a small price to pay for now. I figure I will go back in a couple of years when Dd states K.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:16 AM
I felt that way for the first 6 months to a year. But in the end I would have just been working to pay the sitter. So it was better for me to stay home.

Quoting mommy053008:

Wow you are brave. I love staying home but a part of me feels like I need to contribute I've never stayed home before and I feel antsy to get back to work, but at the same time I know my kid deserves me too. I just feel so torn.

Quoting debramommyof4:

by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I understand. I worked FT till our first DD was about a year and a half. Since then Ive been PT (since end of 2007). I miss working FT and I really miss the $ I contributed. I cant imagine not working at all. I also got my real estate lisence and am trying to get that going to bring in even more $ but still be flexible.

Do what you feel is best but don't feel guilty! There is no need for guilt. A happy mommy means happy kids and husband. :)

MommieCotter42
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I totally understand I became a start at home mom a year ago and it's been hard to adjust to not having extra income. I get the urge to go back to work ever so often but I remind my self I can't get this time back with my kids. I do plan to go back to work one my youngest is in school so not another 2-3 yrs and I may only go back part time. Until then I enjoy the time I have.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)