Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Need Advice on my son biting his clothes.

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:18 PM
  • 9 Replies
I have a 5 year old boy who bites on his clothes when he gets upset.I took him to the dr he said he has a slight case of adhd.He told me that my son will out grow it.I was wondering if anyone has advice?Also him and my 9 year old fight alot.My 9 year old likes to tease him.So do u guys have any good reward system or any advice.Thank u.
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
emarin77
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Have your son use his words (I'm angry) instead of biting his clothes.  If he follows through give him a sticker each time.  If he gets so many stickers per week he can receive a simple toy or food for example. 

Some basic symtoms of ADHD are not completing school work, forgeting or loosing stuff?  Kids with adhd can be aggresive too with other children or adults.  I'm just in question why his doctor mentioned ADHD.

hollydaze1974
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:06 AM
He will outgrow it, quicker if you offer his a reward for a certain amount of time of not doing it.You do have to remind him as it's a habit now.
My son started it in kinder when collared shirts, and moved on by first grade to cutting his clothes during craft time with his safety scissors. He was punished by finding out what he wasn't going to get in order to pay for the new shirts.
He does have ADHD ( inattentive) BUT he is almost 13 and on the principal's list every nine weeks . .... With the right medicine.
But I gotta say, elementary was hell.

As far as sibling problems, not sure how to handle that... Sorry. My children are 11yrs apart and argue only about which one is they most awesome.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thathottiemom
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Hun, my son does the exact same thing! If I tell him no, he bites his shirt and bawls his fist up. Nothing really to worry about. If your son can sit still, then he doesn't have ADHD. Don't worry about it! Just tell him to stop. This usually happens when they don't get their way lol. simple smile

Ktina11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:23 AM
This is us too! Mds 5 next month, does this same thing and balling the fists up too. He has difficulty expressing his emotions to others and focusing is only there if it interests him (coloring, legos, etc). I never thought to mention it to a doc because he is very bright and honestly nothing I worry about yet. There is no way mds is adhd. I hope your doc heard more symptoms that pointed in that direction. Labeling kids is not something to be taken lightly.

Quoting thathottiemom:

Hun, my son does the exact same thing! If I tell him no, he bites his shirt and bawls his fist up. Nothing really to worry about. If your son can sit still, then he doesn't have ADHD. Don't worry about it! Just tell him to stop. This usually happens when they don't get their way lol. simple smile

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Poisongirl98
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Just because a child can sit still doesn't mean he can't have ADHD,that's a huge misconception.

OP, maybe your pedi was picking up on more sensory issues that can sometime look like symptoms not ADHD. Try to teach him some replacement behaviors when he gets stressed, like squeezing his hands together and taking slow, deep breaths. I also agree with helping him verbalize his feelings.

Quoting thathottiemom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
occumommy
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:48 AM
My son does it too, he`s aspbergers with sensory issues, and that is how he self regulates. We gave him a couple alternatives to chew on. He has a brown washcloth, a white one and a couple burp rags.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tammie888
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Thanks everyone for your advice.The reason the dr said adhd is due to the teacher at school saying he cant sit still.I refuse to put him on any med untill he is older and if he really needs it.My 9 year old does get in trouble when he teases his brother.
PEEK05
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Sorry I don't.  I've never known a child to do that but here's a bump and a good luck.

auntangelofsix
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)