Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Fruits Count As Veggies

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:53 PM
  • 43 Replies
My dd's pediatrician told me this when I first started her on solids.

Reason being, I was having a hard time finding a veggie that didn't get spat out.

To me that never sounded quite right. I know that she's the one with the medical degree, and years of experience, but it doesn't seem logical to give more fruits than veggies, because they're high in sugar.

So I got crafty and put my vitamix to use, and made "special applesauce". I use apples, and would put in kale, or spinach, or whatever veggie I had on hand that was fresh.

Well, she's almost two now. I feel that she's old enough to move past being coaxed to eat things, or having to hide veggies in applesauce or oatmeal bars. Plus, I'm getting tired of making special food for her. If we're eating beef stew, then I want her to eat it with us.

First of all, do you think I'm being unreasonable? I don't want to start food wars either. Secondly, has anyone been told this by their Ped...about fruits counting as veggies?

And lastly, at what age should I be able to tell a child to eat what is put in front of them, and not have a tantrum about it? Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply. Dd is my first, and only child. So there is a lot that I'm ignorant about.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2ljh
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:56 PM
We've always expected our son to eat what was offered. The longer you continue to hide the veggies, the more difficult it will be to convince her to accept them.
Let her help pick things out in the produce section. My son is 5 and is ALWAYS willing to try something he chose. Winter squashes are sweet and are a great place to start. We love boiled butternut squash cooked in cinnamon. :-)
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Most peds say to limit fruits because of the sugar. DS is almost 2 and we expect him to eat what we eat. Of course we try to mix things up and if he tries things and genuinely doesn't like them we give him something else and try that food again at another time.
He also didn't like to eat the same thing day in and day out. That gets hard because we always have leftovers and he doesn't always eat them a third or fourth time. He's not very picky usually though.
cabrandy03
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:01 PM
2 moms liked this

My two year old is super picky so I always give her some of what we're eating and a little bit of something else healthy that I know she will eat.   I'm sure some mom's will totally disagree with me on this but i'd rather have her eat something then nothing.  I also still hide fruits and veggies in other foods.  I put carrot juice or spinach in her fruit smoothies, I grate up zucchini into our spagetti sauce, I put applesauce or banana's in our pancakes, etc....

TheartAH
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Start as soon as possible! DD has been eating the same thing as us since she started table food at 9mon! I always make sure that there is at least one thing that she likes on the menu but she always has the choice not to eat the other stuff. She can throw it away but if she chooses not to eat then there will be no snacking ect later. Children sometimes have to be exposed to a food multiple times before they will eat it! She started out picky but after holding string to this policy she eats all but maybe 2 foods!
*btw dd does not starve she is in the 70% for her age and proof that if a child is hungry enough and see that you are not goings I cave they WILL eat what you give them!
BestestMom11
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Good suggestion. Thanks! She likes cinnamon. She also likes to help at the store. As she puts them in the bag, we count. She's a good helper.

I had some success tonight with fresh spinach, but it had butter on it. She loves butter. She ate a good 4 tablespoons of it before she decided that she wasn't interested anymore.

We eat a lot of vegetables. It would be so nice if she just hopped on board. My mom says that I'm pushing her too hard, and the more I do, the more she'll resist. I ate a ton of veggies while I was pregnant too...I don't understand why they're such a big turn off?

Quoting mom2ljh:

We've always expected our son to eat what was offered. The longer you continue to hide the veggies, the more difficult it will be to convince her to accept them.

Let her help pick things out in the produce section. My son is 5 and is ALWAYS willing to try something he chose. Winter squashes are sweet and are a great place to start. We love boiled butternut squash cooked in cinnamon. :-)

TheartAH
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Most kids prefer sweets (most adults prefer sweets too lol) so its natural to want fruit instead of the veggies!

Quoting BestestMom11:

Good suggestion. Thanks! She likes cinnamon. She also likes to help at the store. As she puts them in the bag, we count. She's a good helper.

I had some success tonight with fresh spinach, but it had butter on it. She loves butter. She ate a good 4 tablespoons of it before she decided that she wasn't interested anymore.

We eat a lot of vegetables. It would be so nice if she just hopped on board. My mom says that I'm pushing her too hard, and the more I do, the more she'll resist. I ate a ton of veggies while I was pregnant too...I don't understand why they're such a big turn off?

Quoting mom2ljh:

mom2ljh
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:19 PM
4 Tablespoons is a LOT for a 2 year old. She was probably getting full. Se won't get turned off as long as you're only offering, not forcing. Don't make the fruits available when the veggies are whats offered and consistently offer the veggies.
Spinach is FULL of nutrients so definitely a good one for her to be accepting. Try something like guacamole too. DS loves to help make it. It's his all time favorite food and extremely easy to make. Then some fresh corn chips with it and voila, a healthy snack an you've gotten avacado, tomato, onion and garlic in her. :-)

Quoting BestestMom11:

Quoting mom2ljh:

BestestMom11
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:38 PM
That is good to know. I haven't offered her avocado since she was about a year old. Might be good to try it again. I love guacamole!!

I thought it might be an issue of getting full, because she turned down the cookie, which is what she originally asked for. I told her she could have it, but that she had to eat the spinach first, and then she could have the cookie.

Thanks again.

Quoting mom2ljh:

4 Tablespoons is a LOT for a 2 year old. She was probably getting full. Se won't get turned off as long as you're only offering, not forcing. Don't make the fruits available when the veggies are whats offered and consistently offer the veggies.

Spinach is FULL of nutrients so definitely a good one for her to be accepting. Try something like guacamole too. DS loves to help make it. It's his all time favorite food and extremely easy to make. Then some fresh corn chips with it and voila, a healthy snack an you've gotten avacado, tomato, onion and garlic in her. :-)

Quoting BestestMom11:

Quoting mom2ljh:

BestestMom11
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:40 PM
This exactly! She hates leftovers, and I'm a big fan of them.

Quoting Firenygirl180:

Most peds say to limit fruits because of the sugar. DS is almost 2 and we expect him to eat what we eat. Of course we try to mix things up and if he tries things and genuinely doesn't like them we give him something else and try that food again at another time.

He also didn't like to eat the same thing day in and day out. That gets hard because we always have leftovers and he doesn't always eat them a third or fourth time. He's not very picky usually though.

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:46 PM
I like leftovers but only for an extra meal or two. Df could make a huge meal Sunday and eat it everyday for a week.

Quoting BestestMom11:

This exactly! She hates leftovers, and I'm a big fan of them.

Quoting Firenygirl180:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN