Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Bye-Bye Binkie

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM
  • 24 Replies
Hey Ladies! I've been reading various articles about how to get a toddler to stop using a pacifier, but I wanted real-life advice, too...my daughter is three years old and still uses a pacifier. She starts preschool tomorrow and they're not going to let her have it there at all after the first week. Do any of you have any advice on how to ease her into the transition? Thanks in advance!
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1st_time_mom789
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:46 PM

BUMP! I'm in the same boat you are!

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM
My situation was a little different because we only allowed my son to use his for naps/sleeping after 18 months or so but, regardless, do it cold turkey (we took his away cold turkey at 3). Rip the band aid off quickly and don't look back. Yes, it'll probably suck for a couple days but weening just drags it out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:01 PM

If you had stopped it 2 years ago, it would have been easy.  Now it may really suck.  Made worse since you don't really have time to "ease her into the transition."

Since you only have a week, I agree that you need to go cold turkey.  Gather up all her binkies and throw them ALL in the trash.  If she finds a new one, take it away and throw it in the trash.

Marimaru
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I would say, don't let her take it to preschool at all.  Just say "there's no binkies here" and don't bring one.  Then nothing from there has to change.  I did that with my daughter when she started.  

My daughter was 3 when we said bye to hers.  We'd just done her up a new big girl room, so that the upcoming baby could have the nursery, and said "you have a big girl bed in your new big girl room, and big girls don't use binkies.  She said she wanted to sleep in her old room and have her binkie (which I thought was kind of clever, lol), but I said no, that was the baby's room now and we had to get it ready.  She only ever asked for it a couple of times after that, and that was it.  We had only let her use it at naptime and bedtime before that, so if you haven't done that, I would start there (minus preschool, of course).

You said she starts tomorrow, but maybe you still have time to get her a special stuff she could take there for nap time?  My daughter's school wants them to have one comfort item.

thesj180herself
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Quoting Marimaru:

I would say, don't let her take it to preschool at all.  Just say "there's no binkies here" and don't bring one.  Then nothing from there has to change.  I did that with my daughter when she started.  

My daughter was 3 when we said bye to hers.  We'd just done her up a new big girl room, so that the upcoming baby could have the nursery, and said "you have a big girl bed in your new big girl room, and big girls don't use binkies.  She said she wanted to sleep in her old room and have her binkie (which I thought was kind of clever, lol), but I said no, that was the baby's room now and we had to get it ready.  She only ever asked for it a couple of times after that, and that was it.  We had only let her use it at naptime and bedtime before that, so if you haven't done that, I would start there (minus preschool, of course).

You said she starts tomorrow, but maybe you still have time to get her a special stuff she could take there for nap time?  My daughter's school wants them to have one comfort item.

Yep, she has a blankie that will go into school with her, so that should help out a lot. Thanks, all, for your input! I realize I should have gotten rid of it years ago, but with all of the crazy that's happened in her and my life, it served its purpose.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't feel bad about her still having it. 3 isn't crazy old and dentists will tell you it's no big deal. We do what we gotta do to survive sometimes. My dd was born when my son was 2 years 8 months, was sleeping 12 hours and napping for 3+ hours a day. My dentist said leave it alone and enjoy the sleep. Deal with the binkie later. It was what was best for our house at the time and we don't regret that decision one bit. Your dd will be fine.

Quoting thesj180herself:

Quoting Marimaru:

Yep, she has a blankie that will go into school with her, so that should help out a lot.

Thanks, all, for your input! I realize I should have gotten rid of it years ago, but with all of the crazy that's happened in her and my life, it served its purpose.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OBImomma
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:00 PM
My dd1 was 3 when we got rid of hers. She had a stash of them and was biting holes in them. We told her once she bit holes in them they were gone. It took a little while but the last one finally got bitten. First few nights were tough but it's fine now. She's 3.5yo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2curly
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:04 PM

I did the "Binky Fairy" thing.  My son was 2 1/2 going on 3.  I told him that the binky fairy would be coming to take his binkies to the new babies because he was going to be a big boy when he turned three. I continued to talk about the binky fairy coming for a couple of weeks.  Then I let him know the night that the binky fairy was coming. So he put all his binkies in a bag one night and left it on his bureau for the binky fairy.  the binky fairy left him a little toy in exchange.  my son was totally fine from the first night.  At that time, he was only using the binky at nap and bedtime.  Good luck

.Angelica.
by Angie on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:44 PM

bump. my kids never took them. good luck!

STVUstudent
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:13 AM

My daughters gave theirs up at three.  They were generally only allowed to have them in their beds anyway, and when we decided it was time for them to go away, we sat them down and explained that the beppies were for babies, and they were big girls now.  It was time to send their beppies to the babies that needed them.  they were VERY attached to them, but willing decided that it was time to exchange them for a big girl toy and send them to the babies.  They put them in a box (I had no idea we had so many) and we drove them down to the hospital.  I went in, told the volunteer at the desk what we wanted to do, and she was wonderful... my daughters went in and very seriously told the lady that they were there to give their beppies to the babies.  She took the box, thanked them for their generosity, and assured them that she would deliver them.  The girls asked if they could SEE the babies... ooops... "the babies are napping right now, we can't see them- they might wake up..."  then quickly off to the toy store, bought a transition toy, and we have never looked back.  One girl asked for one once after that- we reminded her that we gave them to the babies.  They never cried for them, and never asked again.  When they found one under the bed, they brought it to me to send along.

Some people advocate just taking them away and being done with it.  We tried that earlier... Sorry- I had a hard time listening to them cry for them for DAYS...  this went much smoother... relatively stress free for all of us, and much less traumatic..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)