Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Monochromacy?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:02 AM
  • 2 Replies

My daughter is 25 months old. She can count to 10 in English, identify over 50 animals, count to 5 in Serbian, knows I don't even know how many words in English, Russian, Arabic, Serbian......But colours are another story. She knows all of there names. I will hold a block up, tell her what colour it is, she repeats it. I will then hold p another block of equal size and shape of a different colour, and she assumes that it is the same, or guesses a different colour that is totally off. White is yellow. Red is Brown or Black. Blue (depending upon it's darkness) is brown, white, black or even purple. I believe she may suffer from Monochromacy, the complete form of colourblindness. When should I bring this up to her doctor?

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
TheartAH
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:09 AM
I've been in child care for 9+ yrs and known 3 yr olds that speak well, are potty trained ect but still get their colors mixed up. Sometimes they just pick up certain things quicker than others. However I'm not a doctor of course and you should do what you feel is necessary for your child.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bekalynne440
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Many/most kids can name some colors at that age but not neccesarily identify colors correctly.  Even if she's ahead in some areas she may still be "average" in others.  I wouldn't worry about it just yet.  They don't usually test for colorblindness until at least 5 or 6. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)