Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

VERY Picky Eater

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:09 AM
  • 4 Replies
My 17 month old will only eat certain foods. We have tried SO many times to get her to try new things, but she just screams. I have even tried mixing in new things with her mashed potatoes, same result....PLEASE HELP!!!
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
B1Bomber
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I don't know what you've tried, but some of these have worked for me when DS is being stubborn:

Taking him out of his high chair, holding him, and letting him eat off my plate (my food is way better than his, apparently, even though it's the same thing...)

Giving him a spoon or a fork to play with. I gave them long before he could actually use them.

Making sure everything I gave was finger food and bite sized.

Not reacting when he threw stuff on the floor.

Only giving a little bit of food - he gets overwhelmed and won't eat anything, even his favorites, if I put too much in front of him at once.

TheartAH
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:02 AM
What do you do when she screams and refuses to eat it? If you cave and let her have something else then just know that the bahavior will continue because you've showed her that it works.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Anything else going on?  This can be common, but I'm wondering if there's an underlying medical issue causing this.

Has your child been diagnosed or could have food allergies, intolerances, etc?  If this is the case, she may have eaten food that may have upset her tummy. When they start to realize that food hurts them, they will retreat to thier "comfort" (safe) foods.  Really common.

Could there also be a oral sensory disorder.  My little guy has that (with food allergise) and he's just unable to process the sensory feeling of the food in his mouth.  He may like the taste of it, but the texture throws him off badly.  We are seeing a speech therapist now to help him expand his texture pallete.  Right now, he only sticks to purees, and dissolvable puff-like foods.  You can tell if this is the problem is your child sticks to foods that are textured the same and completely avoids other textures.  

Good luck mama!  My biggest suggestion is NOT to fight her over it.  It will only make the situation worse.  Have her help you pick out foods for her at the grocery store (like when youa re making the list).  Also, have her help you with the preparation of her food (the best you can age-appropriately).  That has always helped my sons get over their food aversions.

Beyond that, institute a "Try it Tuesdays" or something of that nature.  She knows that on Tuesday at dinner, there will be a smidgen of new food on her plate that she must try.  She may like it or dislike it, but at least you are offering it to her.

Good luck!

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:38 PM

jsut offer one thing you know she'll eat, one thing she might eat and one thing she probably won't eat at every meal, make sure to make the things she does eat as healthy as possible and stop fighting over it, it's becoming a power struggle and it is nearly impossible to reason with an 18 month old who has no reasoning skills...give another 6 months...also, look up food chaining.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)