Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please and thank-you's

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:26 AM
  • 16 Replies
How long did it take for you to get your son or daughter to say his or her magic words? My 2 year old was doing good but now he's being stubborn and all I can do is keep asking him to say please and thank you. Its gonna take some time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:36 AM
From the time they could talk. I had one standoff with my youngest when she was 14 months old. She wanted milk but refused to say "please" so I waited. Took 45 mins but she finally said it and we haven't had a problem since. She's 3 1/2+ now. My 6 year old has always used his manners well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I still have to remind my 5 year old. Have been making him say it since he was able to talk. lol

corrinacs
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Its hard to say.  My children knew these words before they were 2, but my older son has since let it go.  We are working on it, and he undersatnds the importance of those words.

Beyond that, the best I have done is model it.  And I do remind my older son to say Thank You.  I don't think he means to forget...hopefully he will start to say it automatically (and I hear he does at school all the time, so I've done somethign right HA).

Marimaru
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Isabelle was very, very good with it from the beginning (I taught her to sign please before she could talk), and she was just super polite.  Within the last year (she's 3 1/2), she kind of forgot them, heh.  She's gotten much better about thank you in the last few months, and better about please too, but not quite as good as thank you.  There's a lot of reminding that goes on.

jen6807
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:54 PM
Shelby is 5 1/2 and used to always be very good and still is at home. But when it comes to other ppl not so much because she is going through a phase of being shy and not talking to ppl.
Austin is almost 2 and he usually says it but sometimes has to be reminded.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prettymomma1204
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:52 PM
My SD is so cute (she's 10) because she will say "May you please open this for me?" She has always done well with manners but that one always gets mixed up.
DS (2 years) will say thank you and if you don't say you're welcome auick enough he will walk off saying "Thank you, welcome, thank you, welcome, thank you, welcome...
I think they're keepers =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ScrChk23
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Same with my SS here.  He is 2.5 and we have to remind him all the time to say please and thank you.  It does not help that his mother does not make him say it.

SarineLewis
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm in the process of teaching my 15 mo old. It's so cute, I'll tell him to say please and he says "neeeeee" while smiling big. It will be a while before he says thank you. He's usually to preoccupied with what he wanted to even notice I'm talking to him lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:01 PM
My two yr old uses them for the most part, she does have to be reminded still, i just ask her how she is supposed to ask for something and then ask what she says after she gets what she asked for
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xoxRachelxox
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:16 PM

My two youngest are 5 and 3 and we still need to remind them. 

If they ask for something and don't say please, we don't give it to them until they say it. Then, when we hand it to them, we wait for them to say thank you. If they don't say it, we take it back until they say thank you. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)