Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The "EYE" of the Problem

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM
  • 9 Replies
After seeing 2 doctors yesterday. I needed someone to hear my fears. We noticed Romulus's eye about a month ago that it was crossing. We made the appointment with his pediatrician. To which she immediately referred us to a pediatric ophthalmologist. We saw hi m and after the whole ordeal of them dilating his eyes we were told he needed glasses and that he hadAccommodative esotropia.His chances of not needing surgery were about 80%, however the left eye had started to be shut down due the strain. Now my husband and I both wear glasses, but Romulus prescription is +600 in one eye and +650 in the other eye. We were told that in 6 weeks he could tell us wither surgery would be necessary or not. This is not including that he doesn't speak and since the issue with his eye has started, he trips and falls easily and gets chocked on everything. He still feels we should do the MRI they have scheduled for him. I was just wondering if anyone else has faced this or similar problems. I have one older child and we never had to deal with any of this. Slightly Freaking Out Mandie
----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/AmandaT1985
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM

My brother's son at 7 had an MRI and got glasses, he actually has good vision in one eye but +650 in the other, the MRI was negative for any malformations (though he doesn't cross, just has loss of vision for some reason--neither of his parents have visions issues at all) or for tumors.  It sounds like if he's choking and has other development issues you should be seeing a team of doctors and therapists if you aren't already.

AmandaT1985
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:38 PM
We have Early Intervention in the morning.. They are Speech Therapy and etc. So hoping they will address the problem. Otherwise I know our pediatrician won't give up.
erinsmom1964
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM

No experience just wanted to give you a ((((((((((HUG))))))))))))

AmandaT1985
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Greatly Apprecated! BELIEVE ME~

hollydaze1974
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:59 PM
My son is Amyopic in both eyes and had worn glasses since 15 mo. Old.

He will not need surgery as of yet but may be in glasses for many years ( big whoop) IMO

Please research the surgery the are suggesting! When we researched , we found that ( for ds) It was mostly cosmetic to keep the eyes from crossing but did nothing for vision at all.

You get kudos for noticing early enough that it can be corrected .... Some parents wait until six or seven when it's too late to correct it.

My son will be three in August . He only fussed about the glasses for two weeks and now , when getting dressed, if I forget, he'll tell me "my gwasses". He is understands that they help him see the wall before he hits it and that means less boo boos on that precious head.

Tight hugs, and PLEASE research whatever surgery they are suggesting.... You don't want his eyes to look straight ahead if he still cannot see anything. I wish you luck and calm thoughts.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RobynS
by Robyn on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I'm sorry... I don't have any experience with anything like this. Try not to freak out, though--that won't help you or your kiddo! (((hugs)))

corrinacs
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I wish I had more for you!  How have things been since he got his glasses?  Has he even gotten them yet?  I know that he could definitelly be clumsy as related to the eye issues.  But you said choking?  Like, he'll be eating and his gag reflex get sturned on?  Just making sure I was reading that right :).

If its related to the eye issue, it could be neurological, but I have a feeling its not related at all.

Good luck and keep us updated!

AmandaT1985
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:43 PM

His glasses will be in office in about 2 weeks. Yes he can be eatting, drinking, or just walking around. 1 meal could literally be 4 or 5 times that we have to stop because he's choking or take food away so he won't keep trying to eat while coughing. He isn't choking in the since of needing medical attention it's almost like he inhales and chews at the same time.

ScrChk23
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I have not had this experience.  Bump for others!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)