Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help with this Timeout thing

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:25 PM
  • 20 Replies

I'm afraid I'm not being consistent. How and where (in your house) do you do timeouts? And what has been the most effective way?  My daughter is 20 m/o and she is really starting to test Mom and Dad...Anything you guys have for me would be appreciated!

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KanPsMommy
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:38 PM

With us, she gets sent to her room. No tv. No toys. She's older so she gets sent and told to calm down and then come talk to us about whatever she's done.

lovebugs_mom906
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:54 PM
My son is 2 1/2 and I usually stick him in the corner. Today though, I had him sit on the kitchen floor while I made dinner. No matter where the time out is, I set the timer for 2 minutes and tell him he had to sit there until it goes off, and if he gets up, it starts all over. He gets up a couple times, but he eventually gets it. After its over, I talk to him about why he got into trouble to begin with.

Now if he's having a full out tantrum, I tell him that he needs to go to his room to cry and he can't come out until he's done. Thankfully, that doesn't happen much.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Elsmom1020
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Thanks, ladies. There are just so many different methods and my books all say something a little different. I guess I just wanted to hear something tried and true because I keep second guessing myself!!! 

Poisongirl98
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, DD is 21 months and is definitely at that testing stage too and it's driving me nuts! Honestly, it seems for her timeouts do nothing. she's clearly doing a lot of these things for attention, so if I they to pay as little attention as possible to it it seems that helps somewhat. One of her favorite things to do it go into the DVD cabinet, open it up and open up the DVD player and take out the DVD if there's one in there. She knows she's not supposed to, because she'll come get me and say "mommy, uh-oh" then show me what she did! She is such a stinker. If I get mad at her, then she tries to give me a hug.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:14 PM

My 4 year old is sent to her room.  She goes in for 4 minutes.  She is allowed to come out after that but often times, she has occupied herself by reading/playing with toys.  We use time out as just that, a "time out" from the situation, not taking everything away. 

We may take away privileges as she is older, like if she doesn't do her homework, she won't get to use the computer or something. She doesn't get to use it yet anyway, I'm just thinking ahead in the future when she is older lol.

Elsmom1020
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:26 PM

LOL. My dd does that too...the hug thing. Her thing is hitting. She gets overly excited and sort of smacks either me or dh.  She also does it when she's having a tantrum. I tell her "no" and she tries for a hug or gives me this big toothy grin...but then she'll do it again a couple minutes later.  I tried timeouts in her crib because it keeps her in one place...but a girlfriend told me I shouldn't make her crib a place with bad connotations. LOL. Stinker is the perfect word--and she knows how to manipulate me when she comes in for the hug...

You're right about the attention thing though... the majority of the "bad" stuff she does is for attention.

Quoting Poisongirl98:

Well, DD is 21 months and is definitely at that testing stage too and it's driving me nuts! Honestly, it seems for her timeouts do nothing. she's clearly doing a lot of these things for attention, so if I they to pay as little attention as possible to it it seems that helps somewhat. One of her favorite things to do it go into the DVD cabinet, open it up and open up the DVD player and take out the DVD if there's one in there. She knows she's not supposed to, because she'll come get me and say "mommy, uh-oh" then show me what she did! She is such a stinker. If I get mad at her, then she tries to give me a hug.

Elsmom1020
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:27 PM

That's not a bad idea...a timeout from the situation and not trying to keep her from her things in her bedroom (which is almost impossible unless I put her in her crib).

Quoting PEEK05:

My 4 year old is sent to her room.  She goes in for 4 minutes.  She is allowed to come out after that but often times, she has occupied herself by reading/playing with toys.  We use time out as just that, a "time out" from the situation, not taking everything away. 

We may take away privileges as she is older, like if she doesn't do her homework, she won't get to use the computer or something. She doesn't get to use it yet anyway, I'm just thinking ahead in the future when she is older lol.

Poisongirl98
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Yes, DD does the hitting too if she gets really mad, is tired or sometimes when she gets excited. Yesterday she did it when I was being silly with her and I think she got too excited and she smacked me. I know she wasn't being mean when she did it, but it hurt! She is doing it less now though. I always tell her "be gentle" and now I've seen her catch herself and be "gentle" with me or her brother instead.

Quoting Elsmom1020:

LOL. My dd does that too...the hug thing. Her thing is hitting. She gets overly excited and sort of smacks either me or dh.  She also does it when she's having a tantrum. I tell her "no" and she tries for a hug or gives me this big toothy grin...but then she'll do it again a couple minutes later.  I tried timeouts in her crib because it keeps her in one place...but a girlfriend told me I shouldn't make her crib a place with bad connotations. LOL. Stinker is the perfect word--and she knows how to manipulate me when she comes in for the hug...

You're right about the attention thing though... the majority of the "bad" stuff she does is for attention.

Quoting Poisongirl98:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:04 PM

We do a time-out chair.

Elsmom1020
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Do you put the chair in her room or just wherever you are? How does it work for you?

Quoting la_bella_vita:

We do a time-out chair.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)