Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No Longer Going to Bed or Taking a Nap

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:38 PM
  • 5 Replies

My almost 21 month old has been sleeping through the night since 3 months. In just the last week he will not go down for either his one nap a day or bedtime if I am not in the room. I have found that sitting in the room until he falls asleep (which can take from 15 minutes to 90 minutes) seems to be the only thing that works. Is this the right response? He is also waking up at least once a night and I let him CIO. Is that okay? Is this the start of separation anxiety?  The last two mornings he has clung to me when I try to leave after dropping him off with my mom so I can go to work.  Help!!!  I'm a single mom and can't function with this sleep deprevation!

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Poisongirl98
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Sounds almost identical to my DD, who is also 21 months. She has never been an excellent sleeper, but was sleeping through the night after I night weaned around 14 months and taking better naps. I now sit outside the room so she can see me until she falls asleep. I also leave her door open and ours open (the noise of it closing was waking her up) if she happens to wake at night, and this has helped a lot too. We always go into her, because of we try to let her CIO it makes everything worse, including her separation anxiety and anxiety about bedtime. I'm always quick about it (unless she's really upset), just to reassure her I'm still near by. I've found this is just the best solution for everyone right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Poisongirl98
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Oh, but other than sleep she has very little to no issues with separation anxiety.She loves going to her sitter, and yesterday I left during her physical therapy session (that I usually sit in during) and she was absolutely fine. She's a stinker!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IQuitCounting
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:10 PM

We did the CIO within reason.  We would give it five mins, go in and comfort, then the next time give it ten, etc.  My son was never that bad though so I can't say how we would have handled it if he just wouldn't go to sleep.  I do think that you giving in to his desire to have you in the room at this stage in the game (as opposed to him being 6 months or something) is counter productive.  He's training you now, not the other way around.

PEEK05
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I wouldn't CIO but that's just me. I would, however, do what you are doing and sit with him until he fell asleep.

woliung8153
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I am going through the similar thing with my 2 yr old. This past week he will not fall asleep until almost midnight and then during the day does not want to nap. Even if we lay down with him he will just lay there and tell stories or talk not even to us just talk. I don't get what is going on with him because he has always slept through the night. I hope your lo starts sleeping through the night again

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)