Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you know if they're ready for preschool?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 6:13 AM
  • 14 Replies
My son will be four in November, but how do I know if he's ready for preschool? My husband really wants him to go, but I'm not sure he's ready or able to.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 6:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:15 AM
What makes you think he wouldn't be ready? Usually by four, they are just ready. And it's good for them to go IMO. As long as its a quality preschool.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
legobaby
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:26 AM
My son will be four in May. I definitely think he's ready and would like a change of scenery 2-3 days a week. I don't want him in full-time quite yet, but I don't feel like he's getting as much attention at home as I would like since he has a little sister and a little brother on the way.

Academically, I feel like he is beyond ready. I'm really only concerned about stuff like how he often needs to be reminded to put his underwear and pants back on after going potty, and he had to have help wiping his butt, etc.
Mrs.Pedro
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:31 AM
He's not fully potty trained. In fact this week he's been super lazy about it altogether and has been peeing in his pull-up(he usually always pees in the potty but he won't poop in the potty). I'm not super terribly worried, because he alnost always will not poop if he's not home or in a hotel room. But it's still possible he might once he feels comfortable at the school. I'm not sure he knows enough academically either, but I really don't know what they look for in accepting kids. I honestly don't know where he would even go being here, so I will have to look into it more.

Quoting mypbandj:

What makes you think he wouldn't be ready? Usually by four, they are just ready. And it's good for them to go IMO. As long as its a quality preschool.
brittany208
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:39 AM

http://www.parenting.com/gallery/preschool-readiness

An article from parenting.com "Is Your Child Ready for Preschool?"

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:45 AM
I think if you have concerns about him academically, then he should definitely go! It will help him prepare for kindergarten. Most preschools aren't going to care, they know this is usually the child's first school experience.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the potty training. He could be trained by the time school starts and if he isn't 100% trained, it's ok. He won't be the first or last kid to have an accident at school.

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

He's not fully potty trained. In fact this week he's been super lazy about it altogether and has been peeing in his pull-up(he usually always pees in the potty but he won't poop in the potty). I'm not super terribly worried, because he alnost always will not poop if he's not home or in a hotel room. But it's still possible he might once he feels comfortable at the school. I'm not sure he knows enough academically either, but I really don't know what they look for in accepting kids. I honestly don't know where he would even go being here, so I will have to look into it more.

Quoting mypbandj:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I don't know.  We do it at home but considering letting her go this fall.  She says, "I want to go to school" so... lol. Can't be any plainer than that!

popomill
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:52 PM
My son has been in "school" preschool and now pre kindergarten for almost 4 years now, he's only 5. He loves it. Going to preschool is a great way to help him get ready for kindergarten, he'll learn how to be on his own and socialize with other kids his age. It'll be hard at first, but he'll adjust (and so will you) just check out the school before you sign him up so he goes to a good one.
nickysdestiny
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:45 PM

does your city offer preschool in the school setting?  most do require potty training but will assist with training in certain situations.  Here in my city they can start at 3 in the public schools and 2.9 in private preschool

Mrs.Pedro
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:57 PM
I'm really not sure what's offered. I know there are private ones to go to off base, and there's some on base. But that's all I know so far lol.

Quoting nickysdestiny:

does your city offer preschool in the school setting?  most do require potty training but will assist with training in certain situations.  Here in my city they can start at 3 in the public schools and 2.9 in private preschool

butterflycircle
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:25 AM

My daughter went to pre school (so did I). My husband's sister (same age as my daughter) did not (neither did my husband). My husband and his sister are better in school than my self or my daugher. I don't think their is a link between pre school and not doing well in school lol I am just saying that it doens't always matter, every child is different. 

In preschool my daughter was learning her ABC's, counting 1-25, "reading" (mostly memoriazation of short stories), to trace letters, playing nicely with other kids, and writing their names. There were not any tests or anything, it is pre K

My son is going on 3 now and we are working on these things now so that he will be ahead and also b/c he is ready to know them and interested in learning them. Idk if we will put him in preK

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)