Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

What age do kids need to start going to the dentist?

Posted by   + Show Post
DD is 21 months with lots of teeth, I didn't really think we needed to go in until she was 2 or 3, but I just read somewhere that they are supposed to go by age 1??!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Replies (11-20):
cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM
I took ds when he turned 4 and it was a disaster. Had to hold him down for her to clean his teeth. Might try a different dentist
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:43 PM

lots of people say as soon as they have teeth but i don't follow that.  i think it's more to get the comfortable cuz how much needs to be done on 2 tiny teeth that don't touch?  i've been seeing my dentist since i was 3 and they don't see kids until 2 1/2 - 3.  we just make sure we brush and floss from the jump and then do the dentist around 3.  my kids are also super friendly and independent so i knew they wouldn't freak out in the chair.  if they were the type that needed more adjustment, i may have gone earlier just to acclimate them.  my dentist is amazing though.  not a pediatric dentist but such a way with kids!

auntangelofsix
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:59 PM
I wait on my Ds1 but i can not rember his age.Ds2 i took him at 1 yr old since he had surg at 4 months for cleft lip.
veraxaudeo
by Ashley Nicole on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:05 PM
I was told six months after the first tooth. But really? How am I going to get my 15 month old to sit still while keeping his mouth open? I'm going to wait until he's over 2 years old and reevaluate then.
.Angelica.
by Angie on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I start taking my kids at 1. It's more for them to get used to going and not be scared. My 5 year old has gone every 6 months since he turned 1 and he LOVES it. He is soo shy but loves the dentist so it was worth it to me.

amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:08 PM

2 fun visit 3 real visit 

mkm6612
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:09 PM
I took my girls right before they turned 2. One was very good. The other screamed the entire time. We just went back for the 6 month cleaning and they both did very well this time. I am glad I took them when I did as the dentist got to see them when they aren't having any issues. It also allowed the girls a positive experience so hopefully they will be comfortable enough having their mouth checked if there ever is a problem.
.Angelica.
by Angie on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this

this is one reason why I started every 6 months at 1. if I would have waited I'm sure that a dental cleaning would have been very traumatic for my son. but since he's so used to going and likes the dentist, he sits still very well and cooperates for cleanings. he actually asks to go there. he got sad last month when we took my dd and it wasn't his turn. lol

Quoting cookinmommyof1:

I took ds when he turned 4 and it was a disaster. Had to hold him down for her to clean his teeth. Might try a different dentist

Vix920
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:16 PM

It depends on the dentist. Mine won't see kids until they're 3. DS went with my to my last cleaning and let the hygienist count his teeth and stuff. He has his own cleaning scheduled soon.

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:18 PM
We are taking ds the day after his second birthday. I wanted to take him at 1 but he only had 4 teeth. Now he has all but his 2 year molars. A lot of dentists in my area don't take kids under 2.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)