Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

How much is too much?

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:40 PM
  • 16 Replies
Scheduled activity, I mean. Currently, my 3.5 year old is in pre-school twice a week (2 hours & 45 minutes each day) and 1 hour of soccer.

Next fall she will be in pre-school for 3 days, the same amount of time. Also, I will be enrolling her in a dance class, a music class, and she will continue soccer. In total, that will be 11 hours of scheduled activity per week. Is that too much?

What activities does your pre-schooler do during the week?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BlueJane
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Anything too much for your kid is too much. My dd (4.5 yo) has an activity Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. That's enough for me. We'll reevaluate once she's in school.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:30 PM

???  she's not in preschool for that long.  if she were full day and then had 3 activities, that would be a lot, IMO.

my preschooler is in school 4 days a week for 3 1/2 hours a morning.  right now no other additional classes.  my son is in 1/2 day K and does karate and baseball.  unfortunately, his practices have fallen on the same day as karate so that day is busy but it's not too much.

mcginnisc
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I have 2 kids...

7 year old gets out at 2:30, comes home and does homework and then has karate 3-5x per week( going for her black belt in a year or so). We have Church on Wednesdays and Sundays. 

My 4.5 year old is in school 8-12 M-F. She also takes karate, but she just started so she only goes 2-3x per week, plus Church on Wednesdays and Sundays.. 

We are sooo busy every day that there is no way, they will do any other activity. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Wheepingchree
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:57 PM
I want her to be busy. Just not overwhelmed. I also want to start seeing what she will be very interested in (I think it's going to continue to be soccer, perhaps dance also). I also want her to have her OWN stuff to do, as her new sibling will be here in October and I was thinking having her in several activities will help keep things normal.
brittany208
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:31 PM
2 moms liked this

depends on the kid. some kids have tons of energy and need more activity. some kids need more time at home relaxing. just follow your DD's lead and let her quit things if she doesnt enjoy them or is too tired/grouchy.

Rosebud27aj
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:33 PM

My ds is 3 and in preschool 5 days a week for 2 1/2 hours a day. Right now that's enough for him. 

mcginnisc
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Quoting Wheepingchree:

I want her to be busy. Just not overwhelmed. I also want to start seeing what she will be very interested in (I think it's going to continue to be soccer, perhaps dance also). I also want her to have her OWN stuff to do, as her new sibling will be here in October and I was thinking having her in several activities will help keep things normal.

Just keep in mind that you will be taking a newborn all over the place if your dd is involved in so much. Honestly, even if my dd is doing 5 days of karate per week, that is only 3 3/4 hours per week of activity. Church is 1.5 hours on Wednesday nights, so my oldest dd is only in activities for about 6 hours per week. 11 is quite a bit when you start driving around and adding in homework when she is a little older. Add in a sibling and it becomes a lot more stress on you. The best advice I can give as I have 2 in activities and have for a while now, is to be flexible and be willing to kiss things goodbye if it becomes too much for her. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Poisongirl98
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Same plus he has occupational therapy once a week for an hour, comes with me to DD's therapy for another hour, and goes to his sitter twice week when I'm at work. So yeah...not really time for anything else.

Quoting Rosebud27aj:

My ds is 3 and in preschool 5 days a week for 2 1/2 hours a day. Right now that's enough for him. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rosebud27aj
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Yes...and my ds gets a hour of OT and a hour of speech a week out of school too...I think that's plenty for him now...

Quoting Poisongirl98:

Same plus he has occupational therapy once a week for an hour, comes with me to DD's therapy for another hour, and goes to his sitter twice week when I'm at work. So yeah...not really time for anything else.

Quoting Rosebud27aj:

.Angelica.
by Angie on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:33 AM

i think it would be too much when they are being negatively affected by it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN