Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Would you let them go?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM
  • 54 Replies

Would you let your parents take your 4yr old on a 3hr trip (one way)?
My mom wants to take my daughter and my brother's kids to see Thomas. My brother will be driving. My hubby and I are uncomfortable with her going that far without us. Are we being over protective for not letting her go? I'm unable to go and hubby has to work. I just don't know when it's ok to let go........

**EDIT**  Thank you ladies for all your replies.  Boy, so many are so brave!!! :D  We have definitely allowed our daughter spend-the-nights with both grandparents.  It stopped at my ILs when I found out about their drinking issues (but that another story), and then they stopped asking for her to even come visit.  I think knowing that my brother, his wife, and my mom won't use a carseat properly is the MAIN issue we have, plus we do not know the area they are going in, it is a state away, and we have never been to this facility before.  Oh, and hubby didn't want her spending the entire weekend (Fri-Sun) away since it was so short notice.  Its kinda crazy that both (me & hubby) were iffy about it too.  She did not go, and we have had a fun family day.  However, my mom is pouting and not happy with me.  I think once my daughter is older and can sit properly in a boosterseat (thus buckling herself) it will make it easier for me to know she's safe in a car.  I'm sure my daughter will spend plenty of weekends with my mom another time, just not when they are traveling out of state..........  

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jasonadamvowell
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:18 PM
My mother has my 3 yr old for the week, they are 4.5 hours away one way.... If you trust your mother to protect her then I don't see why not
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hplesha
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:21 PM
My oldests dad was living in Tennessee with his mom when he was 2-4yrs old. That's 9hrs away from where i live. He has gone a couple times with them for a week to a month at a time. His dad now lives 45mins away...
CjEmmemommy
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Yes I would. Not just anyone but my parents yes. Do what you feel comfortable with, without knowing your parents I can't decide if that is a needed concern or not.

sweetmomma326
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I would let my 4 yr old, but not my 10 month old.

NikkiGross42
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I know how you feel! I am very over protective. My mom just asked me if my 5yr old ds can stay a month with her...I cant stand not seeing them a whole weekend a month is out the question!

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:30 PM

How much do you trust your parents with your kids?  say at home?  

If you trust them unconditionally, then this may be a great way for her to spend time with them!

I let my son stay with my mom for several weeks in a row over the summer starting about age 2...EVEN with his food allergies.

But I trust her with his life.  I prep and bring bags of food for him so she woudln't have to go grocery shopping.  I tell her places he can/cannot eat around her.

She calls me often :), or at least texts me to let me know all is well :).

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Oh geez, even I am not ready for an entire month with out my 5yo LOL

Quoting NikkiGross42:

I know how you feel! I am very over protective. My mom just asked me if my 5yr old ds can stay a month with her...I cant stand not seeing them a whole weekend a month is out the question!

Mom2wife1
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I don't trust anyone to take  my children anywhere. I'm probably too over protective, but I don't care. I let my in laws take my 3 yr old(she was2 at the time) to the mall after they begged me for weeks. I didn't want to at all but felt kind of bad, so I eventually gave in. When they came back 4 hours later she was still in the same diaper which was full. They took her cup away from her and didn't feed her. Never again! They ask me to take her again all the time and I won't let them. I'm not going to sit around worrying the whole time. They only person I feel comfortable with leaving my kids with is my older brother, who treats them exactly like I do. He loves them like his own children. If you don't feel comfortable with it, then I wouldn't do it. That's just my opinion tho. I expecially don't like ppl driving my kid around because all the morons on the road. I know I'm over protective, I don't care what other ppl about it tho. 

ksueditz
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:52 PM

in the past, probably. now, no. only b/c my mom has stage 4 cancer, and i would be fearful something would happen. 

mommaFruFru
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Yes. I tryst my friends family. They watch my children all day/night regularly
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)