Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

How well did/does your child talk at 2-3 years old? Do you understand him/her? Complete sentences? Is my child way behind?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:01 AM
  • 66 Replies

My son is almost 3 (in a couple of months) and he still isn't talking very well.  Most of what he tries to say I can't undestand.  The rest is in two-words like  "Ma noise" instead of Mama what was that noise.... and others who are not his mom don't understand much of anything.

How well do your children talk at this age?

confused

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:06 AM
almost 3? He's almost too late for early intervention. I say talk to your doctor and find a speech therapist and get him tested. My niece never shut up after she learned to put 2 words together at 1. she just kept adding more words to her sentences.
my son 4.5 is still seeing a speech therapist for his delays.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tiff_R_92
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:06 AM
If you're concerned my advice is take him to his ped and see what they have to say. My son is a few months out from being two and is saying a few.2-3 word phrases.along with a bunch of a words.

I don't know much about development, but imo he could be slightly behind. Just remember every child is different and learns at a different pace.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AnotherSAHM
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:09 AM

It is very frustrating for him anf me because I can't uderstand what he wants.  He hears and follows directions but can't say or repeat words correctly.  He has not spoken a sentence yet.

LittleMama2012
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Every child learns at a different pace but if you are concerned talk to your pediatrician. They can refer you to someone. My youngest is 19 months and says 3+ word sentences. My 4 year old was the same way. We never did baby talk with them and I always talked to them. I would just go see a doc and get their opinion.
momhascooties
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:17 AM
My first son didn't talk until he was almost 4. No one could understand him either, it was frustrating and we went through speech and behavior therapy for almost 2 years and it didn't even seem to help much, then one day he just started saying more and more and within a few months he was so fluent you would never know he had an issue and he ended up being extremely gifted. He reads way beyond his grade level and comprehends so well. He is very advanced, it's amazing! Ds #2 just turned 3 and he is very fluent and understandable, go figure. Each is different, I would talk to your pediatrician, I'm surprised that they haven't already referred you to someone!
Beenhereforever
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:21 AM
My son who is 27 months can say every word. I'm not kidding . I can even prove it... But I think it's because my 10 and 13 year old are constantly talking to him...
AnotherSAHM
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:23 AM

My neice turns 2 next month (a whole year older than him).  I'm always sensing a comparison between the two.  They always say she is smart but only says he is cute.

Tannaris
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:30 AM
2 moms liked this
My son didn't take off with his speech till he was 3.5 yo.

My 2 yo speakers in sentences, sing songs, asks questions. I attribute that some to my oldest. :)

Everyone is different and develops at their own pace. Don't compare. If you are concerned see his pedi and get a referral for a speech therapist and work from there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiredme
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:53 AM

I would not compare him to other children, every child is different and learns things at a different pace.  That being said if you are concerned talk to his doc.  His doc should have been asking you questions about his language development at his check ups and should have talked to him to see for themselves.  If there was a concern you would think they would bring it up but if you are concerned you should bring it up.  What your describing is a little behind for a 3 year old but some children just do things at their own pace.

TxMamma11
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:57 AM
My DS is 21 months and putting 2 word sentences together. He has around 200 words and most of them are understandable. Every kid is different though. If you have concerns, talk to his dr.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN