Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birthday party ideas PIOG

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:31 AM
  • 10 Replies
Last few yrs people have ditched at the last minute for ds's birthday. I was thinking this yr of doing a pot luck. That way if there is one or two people or no shows I don't have to worry about the food. Would this be a bad thing? Of course I know some people or most would think they wouldn't have to bring a gift, I'm okay with that. I could still do our theme of curious George meets Thomas the train.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mers-mom
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:00 AM
My oldest daughters firstbday was potluck. We invitted alot of ppl, and i didnt want to cater everything myself! We grilled bburrgers and hotdogs, pprovided condimments, a few refreshments, cake annd iicecream.. it went really well! Her second bday we went to a childrens museum, all we brought were her gifts... it was wonderful! Anything to makpe the planning simple so you cann enjoy youir baby's day!
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:28 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't like that as a guest. Its one thing to host a potluck bbq or something but for a birthday...not so much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I would just invite close family and friends. The people you know will definitely show up. This way you can take care of the food and still give have your party theme. 

Bookoholic
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:56 PM
That's all adult's/teens, I'm the oldest 24, of five kids. So while I do it, Ds is all about playing with friends at this age.

Quoting sophiesmom07:

I would just invite close family and friends. The people you know will definitely show up. This way you can take care of the food and still give have your party theme. 

auntangelofsix
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:45 PM
I see nothing wrong with this.
iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:11 PM

If it was me, I'd probably schedule the party around a time that you could get away with just serving snacks. Chips, dips, some strawberries, cheese, and crackers shouldn't be too expensive if you have no shows.

Bookoholic
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Would you get a small cake then? Ds really wants the Thomas the train cake that has Thomas and Percy I'll try and find it, I was going to buy a curious George cake figurine that I can put on the cake for $3.

Quoting iansmommy9:

If it was me, I'd probably schedule the party around a time that you could get away with just serving snacks. Chips, dips, some strawberries, cheese, and crackers shouldn't be too expensive if you have no shows.

Bookoholic
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:24 PM

This is the cake.
iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Yes. I'd probably do a 1/4 sheet, unless you wanted todo a cupcake pul apart. If you have Pubix near you, they have a kids club that sends out coupons for birthday cakes.

We did a train theme for DS's 2nd birthday. If Thomas has a Safari car, yucould always tie George into that.I know that there was an epsode of George ridng the subway to the zoo.

Here's what we did.

Quoting Bookoholic:

Would you get a small cake then? Ds really wants the Thomas the train cake that has Thomas and Percy I'll try and find it, I was going to buy a curious George cake figurine that I can put on the cake for $3.

Quoting iansmommy9:

CampClan
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:59 PM

LOL This is EXACTLY what I am doing for my DS's 4th birthday. I am scheduling it for 3 to 5:30 on a Saturday. This way all I need to worry about is cake & ice cream & maybe punch? Plus- at least for my little guy it's not nap time.

Quoting iansmommy9:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)