Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

WHEN DO YOU STOP?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:02 PM
  • 58 Replies
2 moms liked this

What age is okay for a child to still be on a binky, pacifer.. whatever you want to call it?   I hate seeing kids over 2 with those things in their mouth.

baby boy

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
veraxaudeo
by Ashley Nicole on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Whenever. Not my kid, not my problem. *shrug* My son gave it up on his own at 6/7 months old. He's 14 months now and I wouldn't take it away any time soon unless it was causing speech problems.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pam_8787
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:12 PM
I say after 1 the child should be able to self soothe without it and should also be off of bottles
momoflivrose
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Ha! My dd is attached to hers. She uses it mostly only at night, but there is the occasional time we are in public and she is super tired and wants it. I was always one to hate seeing a toddler with one in its mouth. Now, if you don't want to see my toddler with one in her mouth...turn your damn head. She sure as hell won't be the child screaming and throwing a fit in the store. Lol. With that being said...her pediatrician said at one take it away and deal with a few rough days. I didn't...wish I had though. It is her security still right now...trying to find a replacement security device...nothing works. It's no different than a child sucking his/her thumb, and I have seen older children stipl doing that.
luvhubandbabys
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Id say around 2 at the latest
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Not really my business, but I do hate to see the malformation of teeth that comes with extended binky use and thumb sucking.
nurbabe82
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I stopped it with ds when he was 10 monts old. No reason was just ready to be done with them. But for me the latest would be by 1.

momoflivrose
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:18 PM
This is something I discussed with my dds pediatrician. As long as a child still has baby teeth, there is no issue with this. My dd is 2 1/2 and has a beautiful smile and perfect teeth. I would assume that would come from using it as a child gets its adult teeth.

Quoting TTC2Long:

Not really my business, but I do hate to see the malformation of teeth that comes with extended binky use and thumb sucking.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I say one but don't go by me my kid's never really took them

TJFBGMommy
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:25 PM

One of my sons used it until he was 8 or 9, not exactly sure when because I never saw it. His therapist said if it worked to sooth his anxieties then don't take it away. It was a huge help for him, so it was never an issue for me.  There were rules attached to it though. After age 2 it was only in our van or in bed. He couldn't just walk around with it. After age 3, it was only in bed, he kept a broken one in the van for him to hold in his hand if necessary. Some kids just need something to help them get through rough patches in their days. If a pacifier does that, then I'm all for it.  My son is 11 now and his teeth are fine, he's going to need braces, but not nearly as long as my other 4 kids that either didn't use a pacifier or gave them up on their own around 1.

Mom2wife1
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:25 PM

My oldest gave it up when she was 1 year. My youngest didn't really use one thank goodness. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)