Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Need some gentle advice!

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:25 PM
  • 13 Replies
Hello. I'm looking for some gentle advice. My daughter is almost 21 months and we bed share. I have no desire to change that, we both sleep great and it's perfect for us. I am a single mother (I live with my parents) and recently started dating someone. I prefer to hang out with him after my daughter has gone to bed. I'll put her down (nursed to sleep) and leave shortly after. My mom uses the monitor and will go and get her if she wakes up. Well, the problem is that then my mom can't get her back to sleep without laying with her or having her sleep on her chest. She will try to put my daughter down and she will wake up as soon as she realizes no one is touching/right next to her. Is there anything I can do to help her stay asleep? Thank you in advance!
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:32 PM

we don't bed share in my house but here's a bump

japanmommy
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Maybe have a bottle of bm for your mom to give her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Put a teddy bear (large) between gn and baby. Then when she lays her down she still feels the bear.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LuLuRex
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

This is a good idea!

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Put a teddy bear (large) between gn and baby. Then when she lays her down she still feels the bear.

CorpCityGrl
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I would suggest this too.  It sounds like it's the contact (or lack thereof) that is the issue, so I would do something like this.

We did not bed share, but when DD was younger she would wake up once you put her down.  We figured out that she liked having the contact, so we would swaddle her and once she got a little bit older she slept with her favorite stuffed animal. 

Quoting mommaFruFru:

luna321
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I'm having a similar problem with my LO. We bed share and I am having to leave him for a week with my mom so I can go to school in Jun. I finally got my son night weaned but he still wants to co-sleep. I hope you get great advice that I can use! Maybe try to have her fall asleep with out you in the bed on a night you are home. You can rub her back and be there for her, with out being in bed, while she learns its okay to sleep alone. Or you could have your mom put her to bed some nights too, while your home to sooth too. I've been having my husband in charge of going to sleep so he learns its okay that I'm not there sometimes.

Chicanakids4eva
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:09 PM
My 6 year old used one of those little square security blankets because she always wanted us to hold her hand as soon as she would fall asleep we popped that little blanket in her hand she would open her eyes squeeze the blanket and go back to sleep...every child needs something they can cling to so they feel secure i'd try different things with your daughter maybe get her one of those pillow pets that light up or something that plays music that can help sooth her to sleep
Newfie_Mom
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Maybe a heartbeat bear. It's a teddy bear with a music box that doesn't play music it plays a heartbeat so they hear the sound
BlueJane
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:21 PM
I like the stuffed bear idea. Try dressing it in one of your old shirts so your scent is still there. It's what I did for my dd.
mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I did the same thing, nursed my toddlers to bed and we slept in the same bed. They eventually do grow out of needing you right next to them, so remember that it will not be like this forever!  I always would push pillows or blankets up to them so it would be like a person. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)