Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what do you use on carpet to clean potty accidents?

Posted by   + Show Post
It was large amount of pee.
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Replies (11-20):
legobaby
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I usually soak up what I can before cleaning. Then I use Dawn and water and scrub a few times OR I sometimes use carpet cleaner and deodorizer stuff.
luna321
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I would try to get what you can out with a towel then dump a large amount of vinegar and warm water, let it set, soak it up with a towel then sprinkle with backing soda, vacuum that up, spray what is left with more vinegar and soak it up again with the towel. Repeat if needed.

legobaby
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Not having pets helps. :)

Honestly, there is nothing gross that ever gets on my carpet that isn't thoroughly cleaned up right away (without a carpet cleaner).

My carpet has no stain or odors of any kind, but we also replace our carpet every few years. It generally starts to look like it's unraveling long before it gets visibly stain or dirty.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

I use my model carpet cleaner and natures miracle carpet shampoo that I get at PetSmart. Honestly I do not understand how people live with carpet without a cleaner. I have had one for over 20 years I couldn't live with carpet without one...YUK

erinsmom1964
by Carrie on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:58 PM

You don't have to have visible stains to have filthy carpet and if you replace every few years like you claim you would know that by seeing the pad and whats underneath. A large pee stain GROSS  I guess if no pets and never allow shoes in the house ever that would help but still YUK.  

BTW what kind of carpet are you getting that unravels after a few years??

Quoting legobaby:

Honestly, there is nothing gross that ever gets on my carpet that isn't thoroughly cleaned up right away (without a carpet cleaner).

My carpet has no stain or odors of any kind, but we also replace our carpet every few years. It generally starts to look like it's unraveling long before it gets visibly stain or dirty.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

I use my model carpet cleaner and natures miracle carpet shampoo that I get at PetSmart. Honestly I do not understand how people live with carpet without a cleaner. I have had one for over 20 years I couldn't live with carpet without one...YUK

legobaby
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Of course there's always going to be some germs in there, but that's why I don't put my face in there. Lol. I'm sure your carpet has germs as well. I have never had stains on my pad when replacing carpet unless it was carpet someone else used first.

I don't mean the carpet entirely unravels. We just tend to buy cheap carpet and the threads fray a little at the top. I think it looks bad/cheap, but I notice stuff like that that DH doesn't notice. I have told DH before that we need to invest in some expensive carpet when we ever decide to settle down in a certain house for good.

I guess I don't see how a carpet cleaner would entirely get your carpet and soiled padding clean either. If personally rather live in a house with no pets and no carpet cleaner than a house with pets and with a cleaner. To each their own I suppose.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

You don't have to have visible stains to have filthy carpet and if you replace every few years like you claim you would know that by seeing the pad and whats underneath. A large pee stain GROSS  I guess if no pets and never allow shoes in the house ever that would help but still YUK.  

BTW what kind of carpet are you getting that unravels after a few years??

Quoting legobaby:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

EmilysMom2010
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Natures miracle
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTE11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I use a steam cleaner then spray on an enzymatic cleaner, let it sit, then steam clean it again. After it dries completely I check for odor and stain and if there is still some left I repeat the process until it's gone.

bpryce
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:20 PM
During potty training i use pet stain remover, lol. Once potty trained i borrowed my friends steam cleaner and did a deep clean
LindaTimmer
by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Genesis 950 

PEEK05
by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I would use spot cleaning carpet cleaner products and then every couple weeks do a full carpet cleaning.  My first child potty trained in the first couple of days so I didn't have much cleaning to do as she only ever had a small handful of accidents.  This is just my plan for when we potty train our son in October.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)