Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Took away paci, now this!

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Jen
  • 8 Replies
Ok - I'm posting this for a friend who is looking for ideas.

Her child is 2 and was on a pacifier. Mom took it away cold turkey and now he is sucking/chewing everything! Fingers, toys, you name it.

She wonders if she should give him the paci back. Advice?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Henrysmomma0915
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Hmmm... This is tough. By 2 he shouldn't need a paci. She may want to try directing his chewing. When she sees him chewing/sucking on something give him something he can chew on. Maybe a frozen washcloth or teether??
corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I would say for the time being, yes.  Has she spoken to the doctor about this?  Does he have other issues surrounding his oral motor skills?  Does he not handle food in his mouth easily?

My son has that problem, and he was just diagnosed with SPD.....his SPD effects his oral motor skills.  He has this uncontrollable need to chew on everything.  So, pacis help us to ensure he doesn't chew on anything that he can choke on.  He's also 17 months old, so much younger, too!

Good luck!

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:45 AM

we have a friend who went thru something similar.  their dd was over 4 and periodically they would try to take the paci away and she would start sucking her thumb.  they decided the paci was the better option because they could leave it in the bed!  she's 5 now and FINALLY gave it up!

i don't know what i would do if it were my child but that's what they did :)

PEEK05
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I wouldn't.

mama91605
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:47 PM
I took my middle dds away and she started sucking her thumb. She is 4 and she won't stop. She also puts things in her mouth more than most kids her age do.
wonderstruck11
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Dont give it back! That will just prolong his 'chewing' habit. Give him some teething toys to chew on. Or have him snack on Cheerios so he can learn what he can and can't put in his mouth.

KRIZZ25
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:57 PM
no don't...
MarylandMom123
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Definitely not....it will just send him mixed messages! What about the teething rings you put in the fridge/freezer? Maybe he's getting his molars or something? I would definitely speak to the pediatrician about this as well to make sure there isn't anything else going on orally.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)