Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

First haircut

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:47 AM
  • 5 Replies
My daughter is 4 and hasn't had her first haircut yet. She was bald until she was 2 so I've just been letting her hair grow and now it's almost to her waist. I want to get bangs cut and the rest trimmed, I think it would be cute! 1. She hates her hair in her face BUT if you put it up she takes it down lol so I figure bangs will help. Well I ask her if she would like to get it cut and she screams NO that it hurts and is scary... She's never had it cut and she's seen me get mine cut before and knows it doesn't hurt me. How do I make her comfortable? I don't want to take her unless she's comfortable with it.
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:56 PM

My DD will be 4 in July and hasn't had a haircut either!  I'm going to take her soon for a shorter summer cut.  We will go to a place specifically for kids for her first 1 or 2 cuts.  They have cool chairs (like airplanes, cars, etc) and I would always bring my son snacks to keep him occupied.  It's like a $25 haircut + tip but for them to get used to the process, it's worth it.  After that we go to Great Clips or Hairmasters for a cheap cut! :)

If you have a kid's place, maybe take her in and let her just watch other kids doing it and see what it's about.  If she doens't want to do it that day, no worries, you are just there to check it out.  Then just see what she thinks.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Mine had her first trim when she was 2yr. Then every 6wks since. For the first year it seemed she would wiggle and cry. It was awful! She's now 4.5yr and will let them shampoo her. It's fun going together to get our hair done. It just takes time. Be patient and maybe offer a treat when done.
MrsThebus
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:07 PM
The woman who cuts mine and my family's hair has known us since my daughter was born so I was hoping the familiarity of her would help but I'm not sure it will lol. We live in a small town so no kid cut places unfortunately.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

My DD will be 4 in July and hasn't had a haircut either!  I'm going to take her soon for a shorter summer cut.  We will go to a place specifically for kids for her first 1 or 2 cuts.  They have cool chairs (like airplanes, cars, etc) and I would always bring my son snacks to keep him occupied.  It's like a $25 haircut + tip but for them to get used to the process, it's worth it.  After that we go to Great Clips or Hairmasters for a cheap cut! :)

If you have a kid's place, maybe take her in and let her just watch other kids doing it and see what it's about.  If she doens't want to do it that day, no worries, you are just there to check it out.  Then just see what she thinks.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM

ah, gottcha.  well maybe you and the lady could do a pretend haircut for her.  have her sit in the chair and have the lady pretend to do everything she will need to do for the real cut.  she can pretend to cut it with her fingers, etc. and see how your daughter reacts to that.  assure her that nothing is going to be cut, this is just for pretend and don't even have the scissors out.  then maybe she'll let you actually cut it or maybe not that day but hopefully it's a step in the right direction.

Quoting MrsThebus:

The woman who cuts mine and my family's hair has known us since my daughter was born so I was hoping the familiarity of her would help but I'm not sure it will lol. We live in a small town so no kid cut places unfortunately.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

auntangelofsix
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:23 PM
I need to get my soon to be 16 month old it is long in the back n his bangs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)