Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Dentist overlooked cavities ?

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:38 PM
  • 39 Replies
I posted on here a few months ago about my 20 month olds teeth, in the breastfeeding group, so here it is so I don't have to retype it. Sorry I don't know how to make it clicky:

http://mobile.cafemom.com/group/325/forums/read/18320912/You_HAVE_to_wean_your_19_mo_old_says_dentist

So now that 98% of moms have told me his decay ISN'T from breastfeeding, I'm a little worried that were failing as parents or something because wtf is causing this when we brush twice a day and don't give him sugary crap? My main reason for this post is- the dumbass dentist overlooked the two cavities in his two top front teeth. They're holes, they're obvious, and ones pretty big. I know he could hardly look into DS's mouth because he was squirming and screaming even though he was on my lap, but still that dentist should've figured out a way to CHECK his teeth thoroughly when I said "I think he has a cavity." All he said was "that chip won't do any harm, I don't like putting toddlers under to file teeth unless its neccesary. My son has the same chip and itll be ok until his baby teeth fall out. There's no cavities just some discoloration."

So should I go back to that dentist and demand he look again and fix the damn holes OR go elsewhere and start all over? Im fine with doing that but this place was AWESOME for kids. 4D wallpaper of animals, rainforest and sea creatures.. Very relaxing for a child. BUT that dentist obviously overlooked cavities that need fixed.
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tiredme
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I have never heard of them fixing cavities in baby teeth.  Unless the child is in pain they usually will tell you just wait until the tooth falls out.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this

that's actually not true.  it depends on which tooth has the cavity and the age of the child.  if it's a front tooth on a 5 year old, no, they probably won't fix it because the tooth will probably fall out relatively quickly.  if it's a front tooth on a 2 year old or even a molar on a 5 year old, they will do a filling because those teeth won't fall out for years.  cavities left for too long can cause damage to the permanent teeth...

with that said, OP, my son has had 4 cavities filled but all on molars.  we brush and floss and, yes, he does have candy but not a ton and has never gone to bed with milk or anything ever.  some kids can just be more prone to cavities.  the fact that they are on front teeth is what puzzles me.  normally you would see that from milk sitting on the teeth all night along with the suction from a bottle. 

personally, i would NOT go back to that dentist unless you trust his care going forward.  if he does a bad job repairing the cavity or misses more than it might not be worth it...

Quoting tiredme:

I have never heard of them fixing cavities in baby teeth.  Unless the child is in pain they usually will tell you just wait until the tooth falls out.

luna321
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:17 AM
1 mom liked this

My son has discoloration and decay on his front two teeth and the 2 next to them and our dentist said he wants to wait to do anything because right now it will just be too traumatic. If I saw a big hole I might want them to fill it but even then maybe in a year when he's able to understand it better? I think I commented on your post in the bf group about how they said my son has "bottle rot" um he has never had a bottle and I have only given him homemade juice a hand full of times, plus its the out side of just his front teeth so breast feeding doesn't make any since. I know he has a lip tie that no one wanted to correct and I'm pretty sure that's contributing to it. Any way don't feel like a bad parent. I'm sure the dentist thinks I'm lying but I brush that kids teeth twice a day, since before they were teeth, and floss once a day. Like I said no juice or milk (other than mine and now unsweetened almond milk too). I worry people will judged me and about him going to school with brown teeth, but what can you do? :-/ any way you are far from alone on this.

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Here is a picture of how cavities usually develop in toddlers.  Notice the first picture, it starts out as white spots (and I only point ths out cause ppl usually assume cavities start out as dark spots). They are also at the gum line. White spots on other parts of the teeth are not usually cavities. But you can see from these pictures how they progress into decay. 

And this picture shows how cavities form. Many people assume its from junk food but really its carbohydrates (foods w/ white flour like bread, crackers, cereal, etc). 

Well, the germs in the mouth that cause cavities (which btw are passed from mom to child by sharing of utencils or cups - kids are NOT born w/ these germs) the germs live off of simple sugars (carbs) and their byproduct (or waste) is ACID. The acid is what causes cavities in teeth b/c after mulitple "acid attacks" the tooth enamel is weakend. 

Anytime you put food in your mouth...a sip of juice, one goldfish cracker, etc = a 20 minute acid attack on your teeth. 

So imagine that your child has a cup of milk or juice and they take a sip (20 minutes of acid). Then 10 mintues later, they eat a cheerio (clock restarts back to 20 minutes of acid on the teeth). And then 20 minutes later, they take another sip of their cup (20 more minutes of acid on the teeth). So from just 2 sips of a drink and a cheerio, they can have acid on their teeth for almost one hour!!! So many times, it isn't just that a child is eating crap, but that they are constantly grazing on food and drinks. The graph below shows the difference on acid attacks on teeth if you limit foods to just planned meals and snacks vs snacking all day. 

othermom
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I would take him back in to get rechecked.

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Can you post a picture?
It's hard to get the mental picture. LOL.
Do you have city water, it could be possible if your also using floride tooth paste, that he's getting to much floride (sp?) It can cause discoloured teeth.

My son front front teeth were chipped really bad, his adult teeth are fine. He did have cavities on his back teeth though. I was told when he was about 2 they would turn into cavities. Something went wrong during early pregnancy and he had thin enamel on those 2 teeth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:29 PM

i would go somewhere else. I wouldn't go back to a dentist that couldn't find a hole in a tooth. and some times teeth are genetically predisposed to having problems. :/

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Bump

RheaF
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:44 AM

They typically will not do anything unless it is causing pain. DD had three cavities in her teeth, that came out when her baby teeth fell out.

momtoBrenna
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM

My dd is 7 and she had 2 huge and 3 smaller cavities, they absolutely had to be filled. They cause infection and damage to permanent teeth if they're not taken care of. They were all on her molars though. The two big ones also needed root canals and silver caps. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)