Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Walking age...

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:16 PM
  • 72 Replies
1 mom liked this

At what age did your child start walking without holding your hand or onto furniture?  My son is 15 months old today and he will stand on his own, walk while holding my hand or onto his walker, and cruises around the furniture...but he's not walking on his own yet.  He was a little late at crawling on his hands and knees, sitting up on his own, etc...He was in the hospital for two weeks after having heart surgery at 10 weeks old.  My husband and I think maybe that may have been a set back but then again I've had other parents tell us that their child didn't walk until 15 months or as late as 18 months...he doesn't have any issues with any of his other developemental skills.  He talks, eats with a spoon/fork, grasps things very well, knows how to hold a phone correctly(it's so cute!), climbs, has great upper body strength, etc...

CafeMom Tickers

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bebe_ju-rah
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:21 PM
12 months. She didn't crawl though. Lol A friend's dd just started walking at 16 months. It varies :)
Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:23 PM

1st 11 months, 2nd 16 months, 3rd 12 months

huntersmama711
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Ds 1st did it at 19 months then after 2 days went back to crawling. At 20 months he started walking all over again
HLSsMom24
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I think my DH has been a bit more concerned than me.  He tries walking with him everyday after work.

Hi_Rae
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:28 PM
About 11 months, he is 12 months now and starting to run
lovinmyboys...
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Ds 1...8 1/2 months
Ds 2...almost 9 months
legobaby
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:32 PM
My first was about 10.5 months. My second was barely 9 months.
JTE11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this

DD walked at 10 months but she didn't roll over or crawl until about three weeks before that. She rolled over, crawled and walked in the same month so up until she did all of that she was "behind" in her gross motor development. Your DS is probably just still catching up, but it sounds like he is close to walking if he is cruising furniture. He will start to walk between two pieces of furniture possibly and then maybe let go. The normal range of kids walking is about 10-18 months, that's just when the majority of kids start walking. Some fall before and after that but he still has three more months to go before I'd start to be worried about it. If he wasn't up on his feet and cruising I'd be worried now but he's obviously well on the way to getting there. If he gets to 18 months and still isn't walking independently I'd say bring it up to the doctor at that checkup and se what they recommend. You might get a recommendation to see a physical therapist, but I kind of think that's getting ahead of myself, because a lot could happen (and most likely will) in the next three months. At this point I'd say he is on the right track and I wouldn't worry. See where he is at 18 months and take it from there, but considering he had surgery and had to take time to recover, he seems to be doing fine.

KPJ
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:50 PM
My daughter at 8 months.
My son still in my belly... Lol
bpryce
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:57 PM
My ds began walking on his own at 10m, he was crawling on his knees and cruising along furniture at 7m. Im pretty sure he would have been walking sooner if he wasnt such a cautious child. My bff's ds was walking on his own at 9m. I hear people say most kids dont start walking until 12m though
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)