Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

help! he knows how to escape!! UPDATE 4/30

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:10 PM
  • 29 Replies

DS is almost 4. He has figureed out how to undo the chest clip. I told him if I have to stop really fast he could get thrown from the car & die. Extreme? Yes but what else can I do??? He can't figure out the piece in the crotch area (it's hard for me too).

BTW we were in a parked car with the engine off so I was not using my phone while driving!

UPDATE 4/30
Thanks for all the advice ladies! I also joined the carseat group to see what the women there suggest. A lot of them says positive reinforcement- he gets a piece of gum if we arrive at our destination without unbuckling. So far it's working. Another suggestion is that I contact Safety 1st (manufacturer) & see if they will suggest a clip that is harder to unclip. I will be doing that as well!
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

A friend of mine zip tied the straps together so her son could not get out.  I just had a mirror I could aim and when I caught them I pulled over and they got a spank because that is extremely dangerous.

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

It's going to be a discipline issue at this point.  You have to prove to him that he may NOT do it under any circumstances.  You can try putting a baby sock with the toe cut out over it to keep it "out of sight, out of mind" putting the rough part of velcro on the parts he has to push to open it so he won't like the way it feels...but ultimately you have to repeat that it's unsafe and will not be tolerated.  I lived in a very rural area and it was not uncommon to see me on the side of the road rebuckling my oldest...my middle and youngest have never tried it thankfully (they are 3.5 and 2)...we turned around and went home on the way to the park or chuck e cheese up in town on many occassions because of her doing this.  She got spankings if we were going somewhere we HAD to go and she needed immediate discipline.

Do NOT put anything on the clip or straps that would prevent them from opening in a wreck, the chest clip is designed to only take so much force in an accident before it comes apart, and if it doesn't come apart the straps need to be able to quickly be removed from your child in some circumstances, so zip-tieing them together is unsafe as well.  You can try calling the manufacturer for a different chest clip to see if they can send you one that's a little harder for him to get apart, but again, it's really a discipline issue.

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I've heard of some people doing a trick with Velcro to discourage it.

At 4, I would be offering a reward for every X times he leaves it on & then let him undo it when the car is turned off & stopped.

A zip tie or something else preventing it from undoing could be dangerous in an accident and wouldn't let emergency workers undo it....the chest clip is meant to undo during an accident.
iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I'm dreading that day, but have already started having the conversation with my 2.5 year old. I point out that I always wear my seat belt when we are in the car. I also talk about how seat belts keep us safe. Then, I tell him that if he doesn't wear his seat belt and the police sees us that mommy could get into a lot of trouble.

BlueJane
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:26 PM
My daughter went through a stage of threatening to unbuckle herself. I pulled over (residential area) and told her we couldn't go until she buckled. Any other time she threatened, we would simply tell her we can't drive unless she is buckled and safe. We *may* have raised our voices but only to show her we are NOT joking.
Sigmalade
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I am not sure of the age and weight, but is it time to change him from a chest restraint to a seat option that uses a seat belt?

MommaGreenhalge
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Tightening the straps would probably help. In the pic you can see slack. I told ds when he learned how to undo it that he could only unbuckle if we were stopped. That gave him a sense of accomplishment because I was letting him use his new skill, but within boundaries. However, my oldest is a rules kid. He twists them to fit his desires if I don't word them exactly right, but he takes most rules very seriously.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CampClan
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:50 PM
He's almost 4 & only 35 pounds. Personally I do not feel comfortable having him in anything else. He's a hellion & might unbuckle a regular seat belt.

Quoting Sigmalade:

I am not sure of the age and weight, but is it time to change him from a chest restraint to a seat option that uses a seat belt?

twiztidmommy84
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:02 AM
They sell things that wrap around the chest clip its a pad just like the ones for the straps but bigger
Monkeymama930
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:17 AM
My son has just started that. My sd sits in the back seat and helps keep an eye on him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)