Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Normal?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:44 AM
  • 7 Replies
My 2 yo DD is constantly walking and not paying attention so she walks into things. At least 20 times a day I say, "Look forward! Look where you are going!" Its frustrating. She stares at something facing in different directions and just walks into stuff. I'm afraid she's really going to hurt herself. Is this normal? Think she will outgrow it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Yup it is normal. My 2 year old is into walking backwards right now. I can't tell you how many times she has tripped or walked into something.

We just have to keep reminding them. Till they understand it for themselves.

emarin77
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Not paying attention sometimes is normal but I would also check if there are any other abnormal behaviors.  Is she talking?  Hows her behavior.  Can she see correctly?  How is her mobility?  Is she stiff, too loose, weak in her muscles?  These symptoms have to last 6 or more months though if it really is a problem.  If she has any problems bring her to the doctor.

xoxRachelxox
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:13 PM

If she's doing it while looking forward, then I'd think there was something wrong but if she's just not paying attention, that sounds normal to me. 

My kids like to walk backwards as well. lol. 

Poisongirl98
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Maybe a few times a day is normal if something new or really interesting catches her attention, but doing it frequently could mean there's a problem with her vision or visual processing. I'd talk to her Dr of you're concerned, especially if she's getting bruises frequently.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GE1
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Children are usually that way when there is a lot going on and catches their attention but I agree with pp. bring it up with the doctor

.Angelica.
by Angie on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:08 AM

it's normal.

ejsmom4604
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:08 AM

I have found it to be fairly normal. This happened with my oldest, and is happening now with my 2 yo. A toy, the cat, the t.v., his big brother, a book, the color of something, whatever can distract him. My oldest outgrew it, and I'm sure my youngest will too. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)