Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Old enough for a highback booster?

My daughter will be 5 in July and is just about 40lbs.Do you think I should put her In a highback booster?My friends daughter is 3 1/2 and is 44lbs and is in a highback booster.Im just not sure if I should or not.She is going to kindergarten in the fall,so I think she's old enough...any advice moms?

this is my friends daughters highback booster in her van.^

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Replies (11-20):
squeakers2
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Agreed.

Quoting xredstarsx:

Age wise you could but maturity is the most important factor. Will she sit correctly 100% of the time? No slumping if she falls asleep? No reaching for things or playing with the seat belt?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 4:09 PM

your friend should check the law.  most is 4 years old and 40lbs...

with that said, i would keep your child harnessed for a while.  weight wise you are just at the bare minimum.  my son is 6 and in Kinder too but he's about 55lbs and we just moved him to a hbb a couple months ago.  we were out of slack on the harness straps and i couldn't tighten him properly anymore even though he hadn't quite reached the seat max's yet.

erinsmom1964
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Sure they did......a 2 yr old in a booster well then there is no way you bothered to speak to a carseat tech.  not one in their right mind would say booster a 2 yr old FOR GOOD REASON and for you to be spouting that advise is SCARY.  

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

HMMM in alot of states that is actually illegal...4 yrs and 40 pounds is MINIMUM

Quoting Nicholy10:

My son has been in a high back booster since just before his 3rd birthday. He is big for his age, and outgrew his 5 point harness carseat. I took him to the fire department and police department, both said he was big enough for a boost then. Now he's almost 4. He is 45-50 pounds, and almost 4 ft tall.

Not mine. I went to the police department and fire department, both said he was big enough.

Nicholy10
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 4:27 PM

They did. But it really don't matter if you believe me or not. I don't need to argue with you. 

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Sure they did......a 2 yr old in a booster well then there is no way you bothered to speak to a carseat tech.  not one in their right mind would say booster a 2 yr old FOR GOOD REASON and for you to be spouting that advise is SCARY.  

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

HMMM in alot of states that is actually illegal...4 yrs and 40 pounds is MINIMUM

Quoting Nicholy10:

My son has been in a high back booster since just before his 3rd birthday. He is big for his age, and outgrew his 5 point harness carseat. I took him to the fire department and police department, both said he was big enough for a boost then. Now he's almost 4. He is 45-50 pounds, and almost 4 ft tall.

Not mine. I went to the police department and fire department, both said he was big enough.

erinsmom1964
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Your right no need to argue because they obviously were not carset techs and didn't know what they are talking about.  boostering a 2 yr old is EXTREMELY dangerous...... FACT.  That you don't mind risking your kid is your choice but to try and tell others to do the same is dangerous

Quoting Nicholy10:

They did. But it really don't matter if you believe me or not. I don't need to argue with you. 

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Nicholy10:

Nicholy10
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 4:32 PM

ok 

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Your right no need to argue because they obviously were not carset techs and didn't know what they are talking about.  boostering a 2 yr old is EXTREMELY dangerous...... FACT.  That you don't mind risking your kid is your choice but to try and tell others to do the same is dangerous

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Nicholy10:

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM

if she's MATURE enough to sit still with the belt in the proper place at all costs then she's fine to move, if she can't be still, never leaning, never messing with the buckle, never putting it behind her or under her armpit then she's not ready.  Children in 5pt harnesses who are young and small in particular, are safer in roll over and side impact because the 5pt forces them to remain inside the seat's shell better than a shoulder/lap combo does.

Courtney123496
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:56 PM

She is DEFIANTLY mature enough.Shes much more mature than most of the girls in my 7 year old sons class! 

Quoting emkirkley:

if she's MATURE enough to sit still with the belt in the proper place at all costs then she's fine to move, if she can't be still, never leaning, never messing with the buckle, never putting it behind her or under her armpit then she's not ready.  Children in 5pt harnesses who are young and small in particular, are safer in roll over and side impact because the 5pt forces them to remain inside the seat's shell better than a shoulder/lap combo does.

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

This is just for your information...your child, your choice at this point.

Here's another reason NOT to booster too early--children's iliac spine isn't fully formed until 8-10, progressive forming from 5/6ish to 10.

A child’s pelvis (hip bones) is relatively small and cartilaginous and lacks the prominent anterior superior iliac spines of an adult’s. Try to feel your hip bone. What you're touching is the anterior superior iliac spine--the part that sticks out the farthest. If you try to feel a child’s hip bones, it's much more difficult (even though many kids are very skinny) because the iliac spine is not fully formed until about age 8-10. (see thecarseatlady.com)

An adult's iliac spine keeps the seat belt on his hips and prevents the lap belt from going into the abdomen. Unfortunately, a child's small pelvis, lacking the fully developed iliac spine, is often unable to prevent the lap belt from riding up into the abdomen. The lap belt may start out in the proper position but moves up into the abdomen during the crash, leading to a pattern of injuries to the abdominal organs and lower spinal cord known as “seat belt syndrome. These injuries are severe and life-changing.

While booster's can help prevent this, they only do so when they child is large enough (at least 40lbs, in Louisiana they must be BOTH 4 years old AND 40lbs to ride in a booster) and mature enough to stay in proper position the whole entire ride. Children under 4'9 (57in) often do not fit an adult belt properly and should be in a booster even if they are over the legal minimum to prevent this as well.

ETA: what this means for you: if you are going to a booster, make certain it fits properly, the lap belt should be across her thighs, the shoulder belt should sit across the sternum and collar bone and not on the neck or falling off the shoulder, pull all the slack from the lap portion and make certain there are no twists in the belt anywhere.  As long as the booster makes the belt fit properly, have fun.

Quoting Courtney123496:

She is DEFIANTLY mature enough.Shes much more mature than most of the girls in my 7 year old sons class! 

Quoting emkirkley:

MedicMommy2
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:21 PM
2 moms liked this
My son is 6.5yo and 48in and 48 pounds and is still in a harness. He is in first grade and it does not bother him. He rides in a booster when he goes with friends but in my car and his grandparents he is harnessed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN