Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Old enough for a highback booster?

My daughter will be 5 in July and is just about 40lbs.Do you think I should put her In a highback booster?My friends daughter is 3 1/2 and is 44lbs and is in a highback booster.Im just not sure if I should or not.She is going to kindergarten in the fall,so I think she's old enough...any advice moms?

this is my friends daughters highback booster in her van.^

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Replies (21-30):
Kris_PBG
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this
You wre given poor information.

A child that age has no business in a booster.

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

HMMM in alot of states that is actually illegal...4 yrs and 40 pounds is MINIMUM

Quoting Nicholy10:

My son has been in a high back booster since just before his 3rd birthday. He is big for his age, and outgrew his 5 point harness carseat. I took him to the fire department and police department, both said he was big enough for a boost then.

Now he's almost 4. He is 45-50 pounds, and almost 4 ft tall.

Not mine. I went to the police department and fire department, both said he was big enough.

Alyssasmommy412
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Just so you know every police officer and firemen don't know, the ones who can check your car seats and give you proper information are the ones who have the training and the certification. 

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

HMMM in alot of states that is actually illegal...4 yrs and 40 pounds is MINIMUM

Quoting Nicholy10:

My son has been in a high back booster since just before his 3rd birthday. He is big for his age, and outgrew his 5 point harness carseat. I took him to the fire department and police department, both said he was big enough for a boost then. Now he's almost 4. He is 45-50 pounds, and almost 4 ft tall.

Not mine. I went to the police department and fire department, both said he was big enough.

Alyssasmommy412
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Personally if she fits in 5 point harness and the seat is not to small I see no need to switch. My DD just turned 6 is 42lbs and is still in a 5 pt. harness and will stay that way until she outgrows that element of her seat.

sweetjpea
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Each state Is Different. I Live In Ky, Our Law Is 40 Inches For A Booster, No Age Or Weight Limit. So Maybe Her Fire Department Was Completely Right For Her State.(Sorry Bout The CaPital LetterS, My PhonE Is Being Weird).

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Nicholy10:

My son has been in a high back booster since just before his 3rd birthday. He is big for his age, and outgrew his 5 point harness carseat. I took him to the fire department and police department, both said he was big enough for a boost then.

erinsmom1964
by Carrie on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:54 PM

a REAL certified carseat tech even if the kid was 40 inches( seriously doubt it ) at 2 yrs old would NEVER say put a 2 yr old in a booster.  Height isn't the only requirement.  Youll can make up whatever excuses you ewant but BOTTOM LINE no certified carseat tech would say that for a 2 year old NONE.  Asking someone who isn't a certified carseat tech about what seat to use for your child is like asking your mechanic if you need surgery.

Quoting sweetjpea:

Each state Is Different. I Live In Ky, Our Law Is 40 Inches For A Booster, No Age Or Weight Limit. So Maybe Her Fire Department Was Completely Right For Her State.(Sorry Bout The CaPital LetterS, My PhonE Is Being Weird).

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Nicholy10:

Kris_PBG
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:52 PM
2 moms liked this
Do you think the laws of physics work differently in your state?

Laws are safety minimums and typically not what is actually recommended or prudent.

My state has NO booster law - does that mean I should put my 5 year old in nothing but the vehicle seat just bc that is allowed by law?

I go with what is safe - not what some politicians uneducated on this topic set as some state minimum some time ago.

Quoting sweetjpea:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Nicholy10:

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:53 PM
2 moms liked this
My son is almost 3, 39 inches tall and 40 lbs. he's a big tall kid!

I'm going to buy the new frontier 90 this summer so I can keep him harnessed as long as possible. That seat will keep a kid harnessed up to 90 lbs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michaelsmom25
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Yes. She is ready
ATG499
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Minimum is 4&40. Your friend is breaking the law and putting her child in serious danger!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetjpea
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:35 AM
She Never Said She Went To A Real Certified CarseAt Tech. And My Son Was 40" At 2 Years Old. At Least The Kid Is In A Seatbelt. So Many People Dont Use Carseats Let Alone Seatbelts. A Little Boy JUst Got Kilked Here In A Wreck. He Was 2, In No Carseat Or Seatbelt.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

a REAL certified carseat tech even if the kid was 40 inches( seriously doubt it ) at 2 yrs old would NEVER say put a 2 yr old in a booster.  Height isn't the only requirement.  Youll can make up whatever excuses you ewant but BOTTOM LINE no certified carseat tech would say that for a 2 year old NONE.  Asking someone who isn't a certified carseat tech about what seat to use for your child is like asking your mechanic if you need surgery.

Quoting sweetjpea:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Nicholy10:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)