Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Old enough for a highback booster?

My daughter will be 5 in July and is just about 40lbs.Do you think I should put her In a highback booster?My friends daughter is 3 1/2 and is 44lbs and is in a highback booster.Im just not sure if I should or not.She is going to kindergarten in the fall,so I think she's old enough...any advice moms?

this is my friends daughters highback booster in her van.^

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Replies (31-40):
sweetjpea
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:35 AM
She Never Said She Went To A Real Certified CarseAt Tech. And My Son Was 40" At 2 Years Old. At Least The Kid Is In A Seatbelt. So Many People Dont Use Carseats Let Alone Seatbelts. A Little Boy JUst Got Kilked Here In A Wreck. He Was 2, In No Carseat Or Seatbelt.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

a REAL certified carseat tech even if the kid was 40 inches( seriously doubt it ) at 2 yrs old would NEVER say put a 2 yr old in a booster.  Height isn't the only requirement.  Youll can make up whatever excuses you ewant but BOTTOM LINE no certified carseat tech would say that for a 2 year old NONE.  Asking someone who isn't a certified carseat tech about what seat to use for your child is like asking your mechanic if you need surgery.

Quoting sweetjpea:

Each state Is Different. I Live In Ky, Our Law Is 40 Inches For A Booster, No Age Or Weight Limit. So Maybe Her Fire Department Was Completely Right For Her State.(Sorry Bout The CaPital LetterS, My PhonE Is Being Weird).

Quoting Kris_PBG:

You wre given poor information.

A child that age has no business in a booster.

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

HMMM in alot of states that is actually illegal...4 yrs and 40 pounds is MINIMUM

Quoting Nicholy10:

My son has been in a high back booster since just before his 3rd birthday. He is big for his age, and outgrew his 5 point harness carseat. I took him to the fire department and police department, both said he was big enough for a boost then.

Now he's almost 4. He is 45-50 pounds, and almost 4 ft tall.

Not mine. I went to the police department and fire department, both said he was big enough.

sweetjpea
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:42 AM
I Never Said One StaTe Was Better ThaN Another. Just That Her State May Have A Different Law. She Could Have SaId, Hey Is This Child Legal To Ride In This Seat? The Answer May Have Been Yes. Some People Just Go By Whats Legal, Safest Or Not. Me Personally Go By Whats Legal And My Child. My Son Was In A Booster At 3, He Is Almost 5 Now And Still Fits And Sits Great. MY Daughter Is 2, She May Be Harnessed Forever, She Cant SIt Still And Doesnt Listen. I Also Have A Baby WHo Is Big Enough To Ff, But She Is Still Rf Because She Does Fine And I See No ReasoN To Turn.Her Yet. To Each There Own In My Opinion.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Do you think the laws of physics work differently in your state?

Laws are safety minimums and typically not what is actually recommended or prudent.

My state has NO booster law - does that mean I should put my 5 year old in nothing but the vehicle seat just bc that is allowed by law?

I go with what is safe - not what some politicians uneducated on this topic set as some state minimum some time ago.

Quoting sweetjpea:

Each state Is Different. I Live In Ky, Our Law Is 40 Inches For A Booster, No Age Or Weight Limit. So Maybe Her Fire Department Was Completely Right For Her State.(Sorry Bout The CaPital LetterS, My PhonE Is Being Weird).

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

HMMM in alot of states that is actually illegal...4 yrs and 40 pounds is MINIMUM

Quoting Nicholy10:

My son has been in a high back booster since just before his 3rd birthday. He is big for his age, and outgrew his 5 point harness carseat. I took him to the fire department and police department, both said he was big enough for a boost then.

Not mine. I went to the police department and fire department, both said he was big enough.

SquishyMommyof2
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

My 5 year old is still rearfacing and 7 and 9 year old are harnessed so I personally wouldn't be putting a 5 year old in a booster.

-The Squished Hippie and  Yoda of babywearing

MommyCon may be coming to a city near you...check it out!

Ktina11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:57 AM
You are going to get a range of answers much as you would regarding when to potty train, sleep train, etc. If she meets the minimum state requirement, then yes she is technically old enough. However, the safest way is to keep them harnessed as long as possible. It comes down to a personal decision and you know what your child is like. Some people would never be able to get over it if they boostered after knowing all that could happen and something did happen. You gotta know what you can live with if there was ever a crash.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Honeybee1981
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Is the back of her current seat below her ears (too tall) and or out weights the seat limit (too heavy)? If so then yes switch, if not then keep her in her current seat. My daughter and I got into a really bad car accident and ever since car safety is a huge passion of mine! IMO if your child has not outgrown their five point harness seat there is NO reason to put them a seat that is not as safe!
Kris_PBG
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Quoting sweetjpea:

I Never Said One StaTe Was Better ThaN Another. Just That Her State May Have A Different Law. She Could Have SaId, Hey Is This Child Legal To Ride In This Seat? The Answer May Have Been Yes. Some People Just Go By Whats Legal, Safest Or Not. Me Personally Go By Whats Legal And My Child. My Son Was In A Booster At 3, He Is Almost 5 Now And Still Fits And Sits Great. MY Daughter Is 2, She May Be Harnessed Forever, She Cant SIt Still And Doesnt Listen. I Also Have A Baby WHo Is Big Enough To Ff, But She Is Still Rf Because She Does Fine And I See No ReasoN To Turn.Her Yet. To Each There Own In My Opinion.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Laws are safety minimums and typically not what is actually recommended or prudent.

My state has NO booster law - does that mean I should put my 5 year old in nothing but the vehicle seat just bc that is allowed by law?

I go with what is safe - not what some politicians uneducated on this topic set as some state minimum some time ago.

Quoting sweetjpea:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Nicholy10:

Kris_PBG
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:46 AM
You've kind of missed the point.

Quoting sweetjpea:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting sweetjpea:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Nicholy10:

lilbit53009
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:59 AM

i do have to say i'm glad i was born back in the 80's and not now.....i'd be scared i'd be born to a mother who would have tried to keep me in a harness until high school lol (i weighed 90lbs at points in high school...i'm still only 110lbs now)

Quoting mypbandj:

My son is almost 3, 39 inches tall and 40 lbs. he's a big tall kid!

I'm going to buy the new frontier 90 this summer so I can keep him harnessed as long as possible. That seat will keep a kid harnessed up to 90 lbs!

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:16 PM
The point isn't to keep him in a car seat till HS. It's to keep him harnessed till he's mature enough to ride without it - around 5 or 6.

Quoting lilbit53009:

i do have to say i'm glad i was born back in the 80's and not now.....i'd be scared i'd be born to a mother who would have tried to keep me in a harness until high school lol (i weighed 90lbs at points in high school...i'm still only 110lbs now)

Quoting mypbandj:

I'm going to buy the new frontier 90 this summer so I can keep him harnessed as long as possible. That seat will keep a kid harnessed up to 90 lbs!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilbit53009
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:02 PM

i understand your point...i was just pointing out that the seat can harness till 90lbs.

from what i've seen on this website there are moms who will keep their high schoolers in harness since they're 90lbs or under

Quoting mypbandj:

The point isn't to keep him in a car seat till HS. It's to keep him harnessed till he's mature enough to ride without it - around 5 or 6.

Quoting lilbit53009:

Quoting mypbandj:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN