Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Old enough for a highback booster?

My daughter will be 5 in July and is just about 40lbs.Do you think I should put her In a highback booster?My friends daughter is 3 1/2 and is 44lbs and is in a highback booster.Im just not sure if I should or not.She is going to kindergarten in the fall,so I think she's old enough...any advice moms?

this is my friends daughters highback booster in her van.^

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Replies (41-50):
mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah I'm sure some would go overboard LOL

But those high weight seats are really to accommodate very overweight kids. And most kids grow out if them by height long before they ever even close to the weight limit. The only ones that do are the short overweight kids.

Quoting lilbit53009:

i understand your point...i was just pointing out that the seat can harness till 90lbs.

from what i've seen on this website there are moms who will keep their high schoolers in harness since they're 90lbs or under

Quoting mypbandj:

The point isn't to keep him in a car seat till HS. It's to keep him harnessed till he's mature enough to ride without it - around 5 or 6.

Quoting lilbit53009:

i do have to say i'm glad i was born back in the 80's and not now.....i'd be scared i'd be born to a mother who would have tried to keep me in a harness until high school lol (i weighed 90lbs at points in high school...i'm still only 110lbs now)

Quoting mypbandj:

My son is almost 3, 39 inches tall and 40 lbs. he's a big tall kid!

I'm going to buy the new frontier 90 this summer so I can keep him harnessed as long as possible. That seat will keep a kid harnessed up to 90 lbs!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2-point-doe
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Your child, your choice as long as you are not breaking your states laws (not sure what happens if you drive into another stae with different laws).

My DD is 5.5 and will 5 pt harnessed for several more years, as long as she fits her seat safely. I will not take chances with her life and will do what is reasonable to keep her safe. We also wear bike helmets.

cherrymom22
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Haha, that's funny I was just thinking that. Hell by the sounds of it we should still be harnessed lol

Quoting lilbit53009:

i do have to say i'm glad i was born back in the 80's and not now.....i'd be scared i'd be born to a mother who would have tried to keep me in a harness until high school lol (i weighed 90lbs at points in high school...i'm still only 110lbs now)

Quoting mypbandj:

I'm going to buy the new frontier 90 this summer so I can keep him harnessed as long as possible. That seat will keep a kid harnessed up to 90 lbs!

jessi2girls
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:07 PM

As far as legalities go.. most states that have laws reguire a child to be 4-5 years old AND 40lbs..

That said.. that's NOT the recommendation!

If you youtube booster seat accidents, there are a TON about children that have been thrown from the vehicle because they were only in a booster, not a 5 point harness.

Keep her in a 5point harness as long as possible.. it's far safer. 

jessi2girls
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I call BS here.. sorry.. but several years ago a recommendation came out that children should be REAR FACING until AT LEAST two years old.. there is no way they would recommend a booster for a 2 year old, when they are saying this!

There is also a thing called google that you could have used to do a bit more research which would have easily given you this information!

Quoting Nicholy10:

They did. But it really don't matter if you believe me or not. I don't need to argue with you. 

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Sure they did......a 2 yr old in a booster well then there is no way you bothered to speak to a carseat tech.  not one in their right mind would say booster a 2 yr old FOR GOOD REASON and for you to be spouting that advise is SCARY.  

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

HMMM in alot of states that is actually illegal...4 yrs and 40 pounds is MINIMUM

Quoting Nicholy10:

My son has been in a high back booster since just before his 3rd birthday. He is big for his age, and outgrew his 5 point harness carseat. I took him to the fire department and police department, both said he was big enough for a boost then. Now he's almost 4. He is 45-50 pounds, and almost 4 ft tall.

Not mine. I went to the police department and fire department, both said he was big enough.

jessi2girls
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this

80lbs is technically the weight that you should be in a booster.. and 4'9" tall..

my aunt is only 4'9" tall.. 

But honestly, I'd be you'd wish you could harness your child in a car seat if it saved their life!

Honestly I wouldn't mind if they could find a way to convert call carseats to more of a harness style! It's much safer for all!

Quoting lilbit53009:

Quoting mypbandj:

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:49 PM
I agree. My 6 year old is still harnessed

Quoting .Angelica.:

I wouldn't. my son is 5 1/2 and still harnessed. it is much safer

.Angelica.
by Angie on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:55 PM
5pt harnesses actually are so much safer, that is why race car drivers have them. But anyways, if by 12 you are not 4'9" the booster is no longer needed. Dh would put 5pt harnesses in our car if he could. Lol

Quoting lilbit53009:

Quoting mypbandj:

Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:05 PM
No, the smart thing to do is go buy a seat that harnesses longer. The Graco Nautilus harnesses til 65lbs and the Britax Frontier 85 harnesses til 85lbs. Keep your child as safe as you can in that car.
IQuitCounting
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:08 PM

IF she has out grown a harness seat, then yes, however I would keep her in a harness seat as long as possible.  It's still the safest way for a little one to travel.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN