Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Old enough for a highback booster?

My daughter will be 5 in July and is just about 40lbs.Do you think I should put her In a highback booster?My friends daughter is 3 1/2 and is 44lbs and is in a highback booster.Im just not sure if I should or not.She is going to kindergarten in the fall,so I think she's old enough...any advice moms?

this is my friends daughters highback booster in her van.^

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Replies (51-55):
Kellileanne
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:11 PM

My oldest is 5 1/2 and still harnessed and will be till she outgrows the straps. We were in a rollover 2 1/2yrs ago when she was 3.  My family thought it would be ok for her to be in a regular booster--I said no and drug her big 5pt harness seat through three airports.  Thank God I did, we hit black ice halfway between the airport and my mom's house and rolled 3 times down a hill.  Being 5pt harnessed she had a tiny scratch on her hand (the other two of us in the truck had moderate injuries) but in a booster she probably would have been ejected and may not have survived.  I always go by the maximum of the seat.

twokids0407
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:15 PM
My dd is 5 1/2 and in a five point harness. She weighs 44 lbs and is 3 feet 9 inches. She will be in a highback when she starts kindergarten, only because the straps are maxed out and i am sure she will grow a couple inches this summer!
TheartAH
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:21 PM
My 8.5 yr old is just now 50 lbs. I cannot imagine her still in a 5 point harness seat!

Quoting LucyHarper:

No, and your friends daughter shouldn't be in one either. Weight is not the tell all, weight does not mean that they are tall enough, that their body is mature enough to take the crash with just a belt, or that they are mature enough to sit properly in their seat. The legal limit in most states is 40 pounds and 4 years, but thats just the minimum, it is not actually suggested that you move them to a seat belt until they are 50-60 pounds and can sit properly. I have a five year old boy who is in a high back booster, but it has a five point harness on it and he will stay in that five point until he's at least 50 pounds.

LucyHarper
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Well, she should have been. 

Quoting TheartAH:

My 8.5 yr old is just now 50 lbs. I cannot imagine her still in a 5 point harness seat!

Quoting LucyHarper:

No, and your friends daughter shouldn't be in one either. Weight is not the tell all, weight does not mean that they are tall enough, that their body is mature enough to take the crash with just a belt, or that they are mature enough to sit properly in their seat. The legal limit in most states is 40 pounds and 4 years, but thats just the minimum, it is not actually suggested that you move them to a seat belt until they are 50-60 pounds and can sit properly. I have a five year old boy who is in a high back booster, but it has a five point harness on it and he will stay in that five point until he's at least 50 pounds.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:47 PM
**backs out of post***
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)