Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

at what age...

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:30 PM
  • 22 Replies
Did you explain the opposite gender parts to your little one? Dd turned 3 in Feb and walked in on dh when he was in the bathroom and pointed asking "what's that?" Dh isn't good with awkward things so he told her to go out and knock next time. When he told me I explained to dd its not nice to not knock. But when should we explain why a boy is a boy? Dh told her you tell boys from girls by their beards. That won't work for boys who haven't hit puberty/or shave or if she sees a woman with some whiskers. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LucyHarper
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:31 PM

We tell them from the time that they can understand words that boys have penis' and girls have vaginas, why make it some dirty secret.

MrsWhite101610
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:39 PM
I think dh was embarassrd/shocked. He doesn't know how to handle things like that and she's never asked before. We figured we would wait till she asked then weren't sure if three was old enough.
Quoting LucyHarper:

We tell them from the time that they can understand words that boys have penis' and girls have vaginas, why make it some dirty secret.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:20 PM
My son isn't three yet. He's just now discovered " himself " during diaper changes
"Whazat?" He asked as he was feeling his penis, I answered " that's your penis" just like brother and daddy. Mama doesn't have one."
He didn't comprehend, I'm sure. At this time he's just working on his new word. Hah!

When she asked questions, it time to just be honest.... Like pp said vagina and penis.
( can you imagine the worse embarrassment of being behind a woman with dark facial hair in line and dd asking you in that loud whisper
" Mommy, that's a man, right? He has a beard."
:-O

Explain her genilalia to her. Then a boys. ( age appropriate, of course)

And dad needs to lock the door .
MrsWhite101610
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Dad has learned his lesson, dd has learned to knock and I have Lmao at the woman with whiskers. Lol

Quoting hollydaze1974:

My son isn't three yet. He's just now discovered " himself " during diaper changes

"Whazat?" He asked as he was feeling his penis, I answered " that's your penis" just like brother and daddy. Mama doesn't have one."

He didn't comprehend, I'm sure. At this time he's just working on his new word. Hah!

When she asked questions, it time to just be honest.... Like pp said vagina and penis.

( can you imagine the worse embarrassment of being behind a woman with dark facial hair in line and dd asking you in that loud whisper

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:48 PM
:-) you know it happens! It's the reason I've only taught songs I'd be okay with my boys belting out in a store.

My oldest once felt moved to sing at the top of his lungs Tom Petty.

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

Dad has learned his lesson, dd has learned to knock and I have Lmao at the woman with whiskers. Lol

Quoting hollydaze1974:

MrsWhite101610
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Haha, I envisioned my dd saying just that while I read your comment.

I also had to explain to dh how he should explain a period to dd and what to do if I'm not home. He seriously thought giving her 2 bandaids and the phone to call me would be good enough.

Quoting hollydaze1974:

:-) you know it happens! It's the reason I've only taught songs I'd be okay with my boys belting out in a store.

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Around 2.5 when he started noticing the difference. 

hollydaze1974
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Oh my word! Hahahahaha!

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

Haha, I envisioned my dd saying just that while I read your comment.

I also had to explain to dh how he should explain a period to dd and what to do if I'm not home. He seriously thought giving her 2 bandaids and the phone to call me would be good enough.

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

Quoting hollydaze1974:

iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:28 PM

DS is 2.5 and I think it was just around 2 I had to explain that big girls have breasts. He got up early one morning before I'd had my shower, sho he was in the bathroom with me. While I was drying off, he pointed and asked, "what dat?"  I replied those are my breasts and explained that when girls get big, they get them. We've not gotten to the vagina thing yet, but he knows that girls sit to pee pee and boys stand.

Just before he turned 2.5, he was moved up to a classroom at daycare where boys and girls go potty in different bathrooms with half doors. It's great for privacy. In the early potty training room, everyone did their business around each other behind the diaper changing station.

I think it's important to just be honest and explain what things are. It's anatomy.

michaelsmom25
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:53 PM
This

Quoting LucyHarper:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN