Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Stuttering..

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:53 PM
  • 9 Replies

My 3y/o has started to stutter A LOT. He does it when he's trying to talk but he has never had this problem before. It started about a week ago and I was wondering if this was normal? Sometimes, he does it to the point he forgets what he's trying to say and just start doing something else. Any advise is very appreciated!

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Roo1234
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:03 PM
it is a phase. just be patient and it will pass in time
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:03 PM

normal.  my kids both did it. their brains work faster than their mouths and as their language progresses they have more to say but just have trouble getting it all out.  don't call attention to it, don't tell him to slow down, just let it pass.  he'll most likely outgrow it.

iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:06 PM

My son did this around 22 months or so. It just appeared out of no where. We went to the pedi on an unrelated issue and I brought it up. H told me that it was normal since his brain and tongue couldn't keep up with each other. He warned me to not give it any attention and not to say slow down. He said giving it attention could make it worse. He said if t persisted, he would make a referral to speech therapy and then offered some comforting words. He said in all the speech therapy referrals he makes a year, only 1 or 2 are for stuttering.

As quickly as the stuttering began, it disappeared. Hope the same holds true for your case.

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Normal. Just leave him alone and give him plenty of time to say what he wants to. Don't try to rush him and dont' tell him to slow down or take a breath. Just ignore it and be patient. It's very normal. 

My son sometimes stutters at the end of a word - it's very atypical stuttering. We just leave him alone and it has decreased. 

EdenSPowell
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Thank you ladies! I will def take the advice and just watch for now. I also think it's a phase but I really needed a second opinion since my SO got a bit worried as well :)

corrinacs
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:09 PM

How old is he?  If he's between 2-4 years old, its normal.  They reach a point where thier thoughts are moving much faster than thier lips.  It should go away in a few months :)

mommyofnoah208
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:11 PM
I think it is very normal at this age. They just get ahead of themselves.
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:45 AM
Very normal, especially for boys
Emily123456
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:58 PM
When my son was 1 he was talking good than one day he started to do the same thing take him to the doctor he had ear infection tan a few weeks later he had tube put in and he started to talk good agin
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)