Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Dealing With Terrible Twos...Discipline

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:17 AM
  • 10 Replies
My son is two, and he won't sit for time-outs, and I can't put him in the crib for time-outs because he just climbs out. Any other ideas for discipline?
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mers-mom
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:21 AM
Research love and logic
mmccrea
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mers-mom:

Research love and logic

Mom? Is that you? That is what my mom told me today.
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:31 AM

he wont sit because you arent consistent, even if you have to keep putting him in there 100 times, you need to do it so he knows you mean business and until he stays for the 2 minutes.  He will eventually stay.

mers-mom
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:38 AM
No im not your mother. Ha! I havent used this method, but ive heard awesome things from ppl who want their kids to learn cause and effect. It takes a trial in patience that i havent mastered yet.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:46 AM

who is in charge of his timeout, him or you?  he will sit because you are the parent and you said sit.  if he gets up, you don't say one word, you march him back to the spot and set him down.  you do this again and again until....  if it takes 3 hours for him to sit for 2 mins then that's what has to happen.  he has to learn to respect that you say what you mean and mean what you say.  right now he's running you...  it's not the punishment that's not working, it's the punisher...

Sunshine257
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:49 AM
Do you have outside time with him everyday? I do with my son and if he keeps acting up and doesn't listen he gets his outside time taken away..
CorpCityGrl
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Be consistent.  If you have to put him back in time-out 100 times, do it.  It's a pain, but eventually they get it.  For us, time-outs didn't work.  I would put DD back over and over again, but essentially they just weren't effective for her.  We do a lot of distraction and using her favorite toys as leverage. 

You have to be firm and consistent.  I know it takes some time and everything seems ineffective, but only because the discipline isn't really being carried through. 

mellimizell
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Time outs never worked with my first two and we are starting terrible twos with the youngest. The only thing that has ever worked for my kids is taking away the toys they like the most. It's their currency.
xoxRachelxox
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I found that time outs didn't work when I wasn't consistent with them. 

I would get frustrated and give up.

I stopped giving up. If they got up, I put them right back in time out. It didn't matter if I had to do that 20 times, I wasn't giving up. They saw that and eventually stayed in their time out. 

Now, all I have to do is give a warning for a time out and they straighten up real quick. 

Mom2wife1
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:39 PM

This is hard, but stay firm on the time outs. I know how you feel, they fight you till the end don't they. I have to put my kids in the corner and step away, tell them why they're in there of course, but make them stay in there. Start over the "time out" everytime they get up or turn around. Hopefully he starts to listen, he is 2 so I say this freely. I have a 3 year old and 23 month old, I wish they listened more!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)