Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Type of Potty?

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:12 PM
  • 18 Replies

Did you get a small, free-standing potty for training, or get one of those seats that fits into the regular toilet? Pros and cons of each? What about when you take your child out in public or to someone else's house - how does going to the bathroom work there? Today at the playground a mom had brought her own little green portable potty with her, which seemed silly at first but then it got me to thinking.....!

by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:14 PM

neither.  we trained both kids on the adult potty so there wasn't ever an issue.

CLEKate
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Neither of my boys would use the big potty (with their seat) until they were pretty comfortable with potty training.  It scared them.  So for us, using the potty chair at home was the only thing that worked.

Using public restrooms was a nightmare when they were in training.  We tended to avoid it...they would wear a pull-up while out and about---and they often choose to use it rather than a public toilet.

Mommynwife26
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I get one that sits on the toilet, I felt like I would have to train them twice, there are portable ones that fold up, I have an elmo one and have a pack of disenfecting wipes to wipe it down when she is done. Worked great with my oldest and now my youngest :)

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:24 PM
My children would only use the little seat that sat on the big toilet.

IDK they just didn't understand the little potty but because they saw us use the big one I think they understood. They just thought the little one was a chair.

The plus was not having to empty and clean the little potty every time they used it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom4awesomekids
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Seat thing on regular toilet.

lilred13494
by on May. 3, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Im trying a fitted seat to go on the potty. i see it as he sees mommy and daddy go on the big potty why would he want to use something else. but my son is big on doing what mommy and daddy do. he wont sit in the stroller anymore or the shopping cart because mommy and daddy dont
bekalynne440
by on May. 3, 2013 at 10:07 PM
I think you have to go off the kid. Ds wanted to be like the adults, which translated into him wanting to use the "big potty". Dd trained at 22 months and is short for her age, so we used a small kid potty so that she could learn some independence.
Sigmalade
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I had the small potty that the top could detach and sit on the big potty. I never took mine to the park, but I did take mine outside in the backyard. It was like 14$ at walmart. I was going to get the throne that played music, but my friend had one and he played with it more than pee in it.

lillucky8
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 10:45 PM
We got a small potty/step stool at walmart when dd turned 1yr so she could get used to the idea and practice, she loved to sit on it clothed while i used the bathroom. She had no issues using her potty or the big potty, we just taught her to hold herself up, she started and trained herself, she just suddenly asked to use the potty and has used it since
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Regular adult sized toilet. That way there is no hassle when away from home
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)