Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

potty pooper - how to keep his interest in pottying

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:22 AM
  • 7 Replies

my son is 3 years old and has been potty training on and off since 18 months when he first showed interest. the on and off has largely been because his interest in it goes up and down. it was way down for a while because he was afraid of the loudness of public toilets flushing. we seem to have found the solution to that - whenever we're out i don't flush the toilet until after he leaves the stall. when he moved over to the preschool room at day care, his interest shot way up and we've got him in underwear. only now it's on its way down, and he's been choosing pull ups or even diapers during the day. (giving him choices is our primary way to avoid power struggles and tantrums and it works for us.)

i could use some ideas for how to get him interested again. i would love to hear a lot of ideas from you about incentives you used because once i try one it will only work for about a week or so. that's how long the sticker potty chart worked at home. please, what incentives have you used to get/keep your child interested in using the potty? thank you!

by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
corrinacs
by on May. 4, 2013 at 7:45 AM

1. Don't give him the choice of pullups any longer.

2. Keep encouraging him, and see if he will be more interested with his potty trained preschool class

3. Plan something big!  Plan a party for when he's been dry for about a month!  Let him help you plan for the party, etc.  I think having something huge to congratulate the huge effort will make a huge difference :)

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2013 at 10:35 AM
I totally agree about ditching the pullups. That doesn't mean power struggle, it means underwear only and then leave it alone. Let him pee on himself for a while. He needs to be uncomfortable.

Sticker charts worked wonders for my son. He liked earning small rewards and LOVED to show daddy all his new stickers at the end of each day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by on May. 4, 2013 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree, stop giving him the option of diapers/pull ups.  If you want him to be trained, he's going to have to learn how it feels to be wet and uncomfortable.  He won't like it and will be more likely to chose the option of using the toilet instead of going in his pants.

I understand you want to avoid power struggles, but by giving him the choice, you are still giving him the power.  Instead I'd give him the option of Power Rangers undies vs. Spiderman undies. 

12yrmama
by on May. 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I have found you have to go 100% no pull ups or diapers. Which is nearly impossible if he's in preschool, they don't like that many accidents.

We used the summer to go to panties for dd, we bought her favorite cartoon character and a whole lot of 'em. Every hour we brought her to the potty to try. We didn't leave the house for almost a week, I was too scared lol. So shop ahead!

I also use M&M's for every time she sat and really tried or actually went. 1 M&M. I know that some moms don't like sugar, but it was just one at a time... and after a while (6 mos) I forgot to refill the bowl, and she forgot to ask. That simple.

Also use a fiber vitamin daily. KIds can hold their poop when potty training which leads to more accidents.

tiredme
by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I would give him a choice of which underwear he wants to wear and get rid of the pullup option.  Maybe try making it fun (aiming at cheerios in the potty) and if there is a toy or something he wants really bad tell him he can get it when he goes on the potty for x amount of time.

PEEK05
by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I would not give him a choice to be honest.  Good luck.

.Angelica.
by Angie on May. 5, 2013 at 9:35 AM

i would get rid of pull ups and only give him the one option.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN