Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hitting

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 8:14 PM
  • 5 Replies

DD has gotten REALLY bad about hitting. She just turned 3 and I know part of it is a stage but we are at a loss as to what to do! She hits when she is playing and she hits when she is mad. I have asked her if she would want to be hit and she says yes. She thinks it is a game. She is also EXTREMELY stubborn and quite sassy! lol. I can already see what we will deal with when she is 16! I work two jobs and so we aren't able to be very consistent with punishment but I am willing to try anything at this point!

by on May. 6, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this

You have to be consistent!  As soon as she hits anyone she needs to be taken from the situation and put in timeout alone.  You have the conversation about why she's in timeout and if she goes back and hits again then you leave the park or wherever you are at.  If you are home, the activity is shut down immediately.  Consistency is your best friend in parenting regardless of what's going on.  You need to sit down and have a game plan laid out with whomever is in charge of her while you work.  ALL caregivers have to be on the same page!

mommyofnoah208
by on May. 6, 2013 at 8:29 PM
Need to try and be consistent. Watched before it happens and try to stop it from happening. Taken in to timeout right away. Talked to about gentle touches and how hitting hurts. Find another alternative for her to do when she is mad and explain it is ok to be mad but we cant hurt people when mad.
bellasmom32510
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Thank you both. We are going to sit down tonight and talk about how we will proceed. I am a teacher and also tutor after school so summer is quickly approaching and I will be able to devote more time to this issue too
CorpCityGrl
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

You have to be consistent!

DD is 2 1/2 and she used to hit.  Like your DD, she's incredibly stubborn and independent.  There were no warnings for time-outs.  Once she did it, she immediately went into time-out or a toy was immediately taken away from her.  We also sat her down to talk to her at least two times a day on a daily basis about hitting.  We would have her repeat after us each time, several times a day - no hitting, no kicking, no biting, no pushing, no pinching, etc....

robibuni
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:05 PM

When our oldest was in her hitting phase, I would tell her "No hitting. Soft touches", and put her in time out. At the end, I would tell her WHY she was in time out, that I love her, and no more hitting.

Consistency was KEY. We still randomly have hitting moments (she's 4 now), but they're so few and far between, all I have to do is give her a look and she straightens up.

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)