Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

not sleeping through the night HELP PLEASE!

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:44 PM
  • 12 Replies
My 2yo ds stopped sleeping through the night when he was 11 months old. He wakes up screaming for milk or water. We've had him tested for diabetes and immune deficiencies we are pretty sure her has a fever syndrome otherwise he's a happy 2yo boy. Not sure if this is night terrors. When it started we were told because he had chronic ear infection (that were now pretty sure wss tge fever syndrome) his ears hurt or he w as tething or growth spurt. He wakes up almost every night, it's rare for him to sleep through the night. anyone else experince this? It doesn't seem to matter if he sleeps in his bed or ours he still wakes up at least 1 or 2 Times a night.also doesn't matter if we ok ut him to bef super early or let him. "Play til he drops"
Is there hope. For us. Will he grow out of this? Anyone go through this?

Update:
Weve seen allergy/immunology and infectious disease. He's had allergy testing and a complete immune work up. We are 80% (drs number) sure he has a fever syndrome called pfapa. The only thing the I'd said was that it doesn't make sense that he continued to wake even when he doesn't have a fever. His arms and legs do twitch right before he wakes up but the drs I've talked to aren't concerned with this and want meter to video it. It's hard to get because by the time I'm ready to do that the movement Is dome ans he's screaming. We are hoping he "grows out of it" but as his mom I worry what if I'm missing something? Is this just mommy guilt???
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corrinacs
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Does he only want milk?  My son is like that, but he's got something going on and has caused him to have issues growing.  We think he's got issues absorbing nutrients in his food, so he's constnantly hungry.  We just had a ton of blood drawn at the children's hospital to figure it all out!  I will post and let you all know how that goes, soon I hope :/.

But I'd talk to your pediatrician about it.  Sounds like he's hungry.....could e something like what my son is experiencing, or it could be as simple as reflux.

Good luck!

deccaf
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Dd just started sleeping through most nights at 1 1/2. And she has no physical issues preventing it. It just was something we dealt with.
pinkiebabii
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:50 PM
my little guy is one and he doesn't sleep through the night. I'm not concerned, he will when he is ready.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyofRnW
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:53 PM
If we give him milk he drinks it all and goes back to sleep. If its water he fusses dr inks some and usually settles down to sleep. We know he had reflux as a baby and a few months ago tried the meds again but they didn't help at all. Hes been tested fir a lot of different things but nothing for food related illnesses. Does your ds eat a lot during the day? Mine nibbles and whrn he hss a fever episode doest eat at all.

Quoting corrinacs:

Does he only want milk?  My son is like that, but he's got something going on and has caused him to have issues growing.  We think he's got issues absorbing nutrients in his food, so he's constnantly hungry.  We just had a ton of blood drawn at the children's hospital to figure it all out!  I will post and let you all know how that goes, soon I hope :/.

But I'd talk to your pediatrician about it.  Sounds like he's hungry.....could e something like what my son is experiencing, or it could be as simple as reflux.

Good luck!

MommyofRnW
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:54 PM
I guess I should have added that from 4months to 11 months he slept 8-10 hrs at night
hspear
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:55 PM

We're going through this right now actually with our 2yo DS. Haven't found any methods that worked for us; we just let him cry it out (as irritating to the ears as it can be). It seems to be slowly helping him sleep longer, knowing we won't come to the rescue. Don't know for sure if it'll help in the long run, though. If we find anything, I'll let 'ya know, mama!

TheartAH
by on May. 6, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Have you discussed it with his pedi? I'm surprised that haven't recommended melatonin.
MommyofRnW
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Yes we've thought about that but melatonin just helps you go to sleep not keep you asleep so we haven't done it. We have no issues.getting to sleep, its staying asleep thats a problem.

Quoting TheartAH:

Have you discussed it with his pedi? I'm surprised that haven't recommended melatonin.

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:00 AM

1) give him something you have worn so he has Mommy scent for comfort if it is related to separation anxiety

2) white noise such as a fan and/or soft music to buffer outside sounds

3) infant massage with lavender lotion to soothe to sleep

4) warm milk (brush teeth afterward)--tryptophan in milk helps to sleep

5) drop temperature--people sleep better when it is cooler overall

6) night light or room darkening shades depending if level of darkness in the room plays a role

7) a lovey to help comfort him when you are not there

8) follow the same routine and schedule so that he recognizes the cues to start winding down for nap/bed

.Angelica.
by Angie on May. 7, 2013 at 2:52 AM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN