Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

How to handle food battles?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 3:26 PM
  • 19 Replies
Unfortunetly my sister has been babysitting my dd for 3 hrs 2x's a week because our schedules overlap those twondays have have no other option. My sister also lives with 2 other families of her bf's and their house is chaotic and all the kids over their run the show and do whatever they please. Its starting to rub off on my dd. She is being rotten, and her new tantrum is battling mealtimes. She is fighting me when I put her in her seat and only wants to eat hot dogs. We dont even buy hot dogs! So I've been sending her to her room and only offering what I already made for lunch or dinner. Today Im so freaking irritated nothing is working. I just sat her at the table witg saltine crackers because she hasnt eaten since 7am!! UGH I dont know what to do :(
by on May. 7, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
spunky946
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 3:35 PM
How old is she?
feliciasmith
by on May. 7, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Quoting spunky946:

How old is she?

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 4:10 PM

children will not starve themselves.  unless there is an underlying medical issue, they will eat their shoelaces if they are hungry enough.  offer healthy well balanced meals/snacks and do not give in.  kids are smart.  they learn that they can appeal to our concern as parents and try to get what they want by digging their heals in.  once you give in, you make it 10 times worse the next time.  keep doing what you've been doing and let her decide to eat or not.  do not make it a big deal because any attention she gets for it (even "please eat" or "you need to eat your lunch") will continue the behavior.

I allow my kids to choose their breakfasts, lunches and snacks.  I give them healthy choices but the ultimate decision is theirs.  I make dinner and they either eat or don't.  My life doesn't change if they go to bed hungry so I don't beg, I don't plead, I don't bribe. 

also, i'm not sure if you are punishing her by sending her to her room but don't do that either.  don't make food a battle ground because, really, it's her choice if she wants to eat or not.

aeELE
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 4:27 PM
If they don't eat dinner and then are up starving in the middle of the night won't that effect your life, or at least your sleep?

I'm not being snarky, BTW, this is a legitimate concern I have. We are currently going through something similar to OP, only he's 3.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

children will not starve themselves.  unless there is an underlying medical issue, they will eat their shoelaces if they are hungry enough.  offer healthy well balanced meals/snacks and do not give in.  kids are smart.  they learn that they can appeal to our concern as parents and try to get what they want by digging their heals in.  once you give in, you make it 10 times worse the next time.  keep doing what you've been doing and let her decide to eat or not.  do not make it a big deal because any attention she gets for it (even "please eat" or "you need to eat your lunch") will continue the behavior.

I allow my kids to choose their breakfasts, lunches and snacks.  I give them healthy choices but the ultimate decision is theirs.  I make dinner and they either eat or don't.  My life doesn't change if they go to bed hungry so I don't beg, I don't plead, I don't bribe. 

also, i'm not sure if you are punishing her by sending her to her room but don't do that either.  don't make food a battle ground because, really, it's her choice if she wants to eat or not.

iHEAVENn
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Try and make it fun. Take her to the store, let her pick out some yummy foods. My son loves picking out his own apples, banannas, grapes, broccoli etc

My son was an extremely picky eater. Did not want to try any veggies until we started calling broccoli "Trees" zuchinni "Seaweed circles" LOL 

He is 5 and now knows the correct names, but he loves to say he is eating trees and seaweed circles etc 

TheartAH
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Wasnt my response but ill answer. Tell them to eat their food next time if their stomach hurts! I don't get up with every whimper child makes so it would not effect my sleep. A 2.5 yr old is capable of understanding aume consequences. If op (or you) keeps giving in I can tell you for a FACT that it will only get worse. My bffs son did this and now at 8 yrs will only 7 foods TOTAL! He would cry that his stomach hurt and she would cave and give him whatever he wanted.

Quoting aeELE:

If they don't eat dinner and then are up starving in the middle of the night won't that effect your life, or at least your sleep?

I'm not being snarky, BTW, this is a legitimate concern I have. We are currently going through something similar to OP, only he's 3.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

TheartAH
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Can you pack a lunch for her to eat while she's there instead? Have you talked to your sister about your concerns? I would not want my DD eating junk at any cost, sister or not. I would consider other childcare options if you can't figure out a resolution.
preacherskid
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Quoting iHEAVENn:

Try and make it fun. Take her to the store, let her pick out some yummy foods. My son loves picking out his own apples, banannas, grapes, broccoli etc

My son was an extremely picky eater. Did not want to try any veggies until we started calling broccoli "Trees" zuchinni "Seaweed circles" LOL 

He is 5 and now knows the correct names, but he loves to say he is eating trees and seaweed circles etc 

This.  Our four year old and two year old love picking produce, and always go for the good stuff- they are also more likely to eat something if they have had a choice about it, like tonight we offered odd the choice of chicken or fish, and we are going to have sweet potatoes and tri color couscous.  They also like unusual things, our grocery store sells "wacky pasta", it is a tri color pasta in several different shapes, they love seeing all the fun shapes and colors :)

CafeMom Tickers
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 6:49 PM

my son went thru a phase of eating dinner MAYBE twice a week and NEVER woke up hungry one single time.  he may have eaten faster at breakfast the next morning but it never affected his sleep. 

Quoting aeELE:

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

spunky946
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

IMO I think it's a bit young to be sending her to her room without food.  Give her a couple of acceptable choices.  Kids at that age want to have some control.  Give it to her.  Let her have a few choices.

Quoting feliciasmith:

Quoting spunky946:

How old is she?

DIStickers.com Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)