Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

using friends as sittters

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:39 PM
  • 18 Replies
My friend offered for her and her hubby to come watch my 3.5 yo and my 4month old so we could go to dinner and a movie. I wanted to offer her some money because I am so thankful, plus I hope they will want to again some time. I haven't a clue what I should give her. What do you normally pay?
by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this

We pay our child care place $16/hour for our 2 kids.  If I had a sitter in the home, I would hope to pay $12-$14/hour for the 2 of them.  Maybe instead of money you get them a gift card to a restaurant they like or something like that.

kaylaybaby666
by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:58 PM
My ex's friend babysits, his friends fiancee, she does great and my daughter likes her. I dont pay her, my ex does since it's his friend
jeniemarie
by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:59 PM
do they have kids? can you offer to babysit for them in return? the last time we went out we gave our sitter $50, plus sent food because they went to her house
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AspensMama1537
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 7:31 PM
They don't have kids yet. They will be watched at our house.

Quoting jeniemarie:

do they have kids? can you offer to babysit for them in return? the last time we went out we gave our sitter $50, plus sent food because they went to her house

AspensMama1537
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this
A restaurant gift card is a great idea! That way they would get a date night too. They are newlyweds.

I know they would do it for free. But I just wanted to say thanks. :)

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

We pay our child care place $16/hour for our 2 kids.  If I had a sitter in the home, I would hope to pay $12-$14/hour for the 2 of them.  Maybe instead of money you get them a gift card to a restaurant they like or something like that.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I totally understand.  They may feel awkward about accepting cash though but a Thank You card with a gift card inside (even sent in the mail the next day) may be received easier.  What nice friends you have!!!! 

Quoting AspensMama1537:

A restaurant gift card is a great idea! That way they would get a date night too. They are newlyweds.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Raeann11
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 8:19 PM

We exchange nights. I also have a few friends that have no children. But they do it for free for us.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 8:20 PM
I trade babysitting for babysitting.
.Angelica.
by Angie on May. 7, 2013 at 9:23 PM

I've never actually paid any friends/family to watch my kids. of course I rarely ask anyone to and everyone is more than willing to help out when we need it.

aeELE
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this

This, for sure! 

My friends would be mortified if I tried to give them money after they offered to sit, BUT none of them say no to a "thank you" bottle of wine! A gift card to a restaurant sounds right up your friends' alley  :) 

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

I totally understand.  They may feel awkward about accepting cash though but a Thank You card with a gift card inside (even sent in the mail the next day) may be received easier.  What nice friends you have!!!! 

Quoting AspensMama1537:

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)