Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is your DH/SO a better partner or a better father?

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:23 AM
  • 92 Replies
2 moms liked this

Poll

Question: Is your DH/SO a better partner or a better father?

Options:

Better Husband/Partner

Better Father

Good at both

Bad at both

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 481

View Results

Is your DH/SO the kind of dad to your kids that you expected he would be? Is he great with them or are you disappointed?

by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beco8627
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 7:30 AM
5 moms liked this
My husband is the "fun dad." My boys adore him but crave his attention a little too much because he works thirds. He's not home that often. I'm a little disappointed because really the only thing he does with our 5 yr old is play video games...then sort of leaves our 3 yr old out. I often find myself having to ASK him to do things with our kids...and to remind him that they want his attention.
As a partner, it could be better. We get a long great, laugh a lot and are very affection. I don't think he's the BEST partner though because he's too submissive, in the way that he refuses to take control over anything. I'm the one in charge...I make our decisions. When he ever DOES make a decision, its almost like he asks for my approval first. Its exhausting.
hriabywx4
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 7:44 AM
8 moms liked this
My DH has his good points and his bad points in both areas! Just like I do! :) The one thing I don't question is that he loves me and all of our children. I have to remember that just because he does something differently than I would does not make it wrong and he's not a mind reader, I have to communicate with him!
NikkiGross42
by on May. 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

When he isnt working he plays with them. He takes them fishing and will even take them to the store with him. He is a better father, but thats how I would perfer it

Wendsdy
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

This was a tough one.  I hate to say bad at both. He loves his kids but spends no time with them. As a Husband he has his moments but not very many.  Sad.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 1:52 PM

My hubby is amazing.  He's human (he does piss me off at times) but amazing.  As a partner he really encourages me to get my alone time, he plans dates out for us and really respects me and my role.  He is a perfect compliment to me.  I'm a Type A control freak and he's the perfect combo of allowing me to have my control but also calling me on my bullshit.  He's really great at letting things go and picking his battles.  He could be better at communicating though.  He tends to hold things in and only talk to me about issues he's having once they have built up.  At that point some of them happened so long ago, I have no idea what he's talking about.  I'm a talk-it-thru kind of person (probably too much so) and I would rather he let me know immediately if I've annoyed him.  We have come along way in 13 years and things are really smooth and lovely in our home, for the most part (again, we have our days).   

As a father he's engaged, fun and loving with our children.  He used to work in a daycare center when he was in high school/college so he has a ton of really great ideas to keep the kids entertained, etc.  We have our moments when I'm not excited about a decision he's made with the kids but we've never had one full argument about parenting.  We are both on the same page with our expectations and the kids respect us both equally as disciplinarians and such. 

RobynS
by Robyn on May. 8, 2013 at 2:56 PM
2 moms liked this

better father--although he does lose his patience more than I'd like and he yells too much. Sometimes when he's short with them I think he's really mad at me but too much a coward to just talk to me about it. :(

MrsLondon
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 3:02 PM

He's great at both! He's not the disciplinarian but he is great with them.

MrsLondon
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I laughed at the last part. My hubby is indecisive too. I make most of the decisions in our house. I'm used to it now but there are moments when I wish he would just make a decision.

Quoting beco8627:

My husband is the "fun dad." My boys adore him but crave his attention a little too much because he works thirds. He's not home that often. I'm a little disappointed because really the only thing he does with our 5 yr old is play video games...then sort of leaves our 3 yr old out. I often find myself having to ASK him to do things with our kids...and to remind him that they want his attention.
As a partner, it could be better. We get a long great, laugh a lot and are very affection. I don't think he's the BEST partner though because he's too submissive, in the way that he refuses to take control over anything. I'm the one in charge...I make our decisions. When he ever DOES make a decision, its almost like he asks for my approval first. Its exhausting.

boshs1andonly
by on May. 8, 2013 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not really sure how to answer this lol. he's a great partner and a great dad, but his shortcomings come through in both. he's not as patient as I am, and he doesn't communicate well. but it's not for lack of trying. 

Larsbug
by Laura on May. 8, 2013 at 4:12 PM

he's a better dad, which most of the time I'm fine with because his dad is a workaholic and was never really around when he was little and my dad never wanted to see me so I love that my kids dad WANTS to be there for them. It does get a little hard sometimes when I need the interaction with him such as talking or help but that's been a constant battle that probably won't change.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)