Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

ABC's

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:28 AM
  • 20 Replies
My daughter will be 3 in August. She knows her name. She can talk in full sentences and carry on a conversation. She knows her colors. And how to count to 3. But how do I teach her her ABC's? I've tried to get her to sing the song with me but she says no or just mumbles gibberish. Any advice?
Oh and what should she know by the time she starts school?
by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CelestialSong
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Mine just kind of picked them up after having the letters pointed out and named consistently. We have alphabet refrigerator magnets, books that feature the alphabet, a play mat with letters and numbers on it, and I'm sure Sesame Street helped a lot. We weren't actively trying to teach her though. Maybe look up alphabet games?

CorpCityGrl
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Maybe a game?

DD likes to sing and to listen to music, so for us, singing the alphabet was how she learned it.  If you make a game out of it, it engages them more. 

CrimsonGrace
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:17 AM
It is better that they learn the letters before memorizing the song. Even if a child can sing the alphabet song, that doesn't mean they know the alphabet. Work with her on letter recognition and sounds. She will need to recognize numbers 1-25, count to 100, recognize letters, preferably upper and lower case, colors, shapes, address, phone number, how to write her full name, sound of single and blended letters, how to sound out nonsense words, read sight words...I know I am forgetting stuff. Basically, all that is a guideline..it isn't that she has to know all that or she can't start, but she will have an easier time the more of that she does.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Remember that the Abc song is just a song. It doesn't teach them their letters. I am not much help cuz my kids just learned them on their own. Sesame street was key for my son (letter of the day) and super why taught my daughter.

Crimsongrace has a good list of things she should know by k. Maybe a little too much (they aren't really expected to be reading or know all their phonics) but, like she said, it'll put her ahead of the game. Basic addition is another thought.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rosebud27aj
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I'm no help....my 3 yr old doesn't talk yet and doesn't know any of those things...

SnowWhieQueen
by on May. 8, 2013 at 1:08 PM

my son who is 6 now..and has pdd...is just starting his and how they r teaching him and had me help is by the letters in his name first....

Scribbleprints
by on May. 8, 2013 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Starfall.com is great (the secion specifically on the ABCS).

I read the ABCs in licence plates and other things we pass when we are walking around.  At home I point out letters where I see them (like even on t-shirts and such) and point them out.  

Then of course sesame street has some great bits for learning ABC.  You can look on up sesame street letter on You Tube and let her watch a short clip of a letter each day.  Then during the day you could say "Hey, you know, apple starts with the letter a," etc.  

Also, sitting down and writing in front of them gets them very curious.  :-)   You can write letters in chalk in the driveway, and play a game where you say the letter when your child jumps on it.    

If you need more, look on pinterest...there's a ton of stuff.  

RobynS
by Robyn on May. 8, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Don't panic... ABCs seems to be one of those things. You think they don't have it and then BOOM, one day they do.

.Angelica.
by Angie on May. 8, 2013 at 4:43 PM

my son loved the song and we had letter magnets.

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this
We focus on one letter per week. I made a book where each Monday I draw the letter & he scribbles on the page, then Through the week i point out that letter in books (the 'fun' print in books, not really the small words but I do that sometimes too). Ill cut out the letter on construction paper & we glue stuff to it, etc. my just turned 2 year old now knows a lot of his letters because of this.

Www.letteroftheweek.com has a 'prep' curriculum to learn letters (they give you a theme, a letter, a color or number, and a fine & gross motor activity for each week) or the curriculum on there also focuses on sounds.

By kinder, a child should know their letters, numbers, count to 10, know the sounds of letters, and know how to rhyme. As a basic start....a lot of kids know more than that (sight words, simple adding)

Also target has a bunch of $1 workbooks on following directions/learning colors & counting, tracing shapes, and mazes. All of those help with fine motor skills. You can do a page a day or something
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)