Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Need help! Any tips on giving a 2 year old medicine???

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:45 AM
  • 18 Replies

My 2 yr old ( soon to be 3) hate taking medicine. It's a constant struggle. I've had to mix his Tylenol in juices to get him to take it and it sometimes works but now he's on antibiotics and has to take it for 5 days. I tried mixing it with juice but he know and refuses so I had to hold him down and force it with a syringe but he spit half of it out. Now I have to get more because a days worth was wasted. I hate to have to force it and still have half of it wasted. Any suggestions on how to keep it down quick with out harming him and avoiding him choking on it?? I don't want him to be traumatized. I'd appreciate any advice.

by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rhiannon1980
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:06 AM
With our ds if he doesn't like the taste he will gage and throw it up. So we drip it little by little and tell him swallow. It works for us for him to get it down without wasting any. You could try that. It takes a little time but its worth the work especially if they are on antibiotics. Good luck.
87angel
by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:23 AM

my ds is the same way and my mom told me to mix it with chocolate pudding and it worked maybe you could try that

ScrChk23
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Mix it with milk?  maybe add strawberry flavoring to hide the pink color.

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Do a reward. First medicine, then a jelly bean type thing.
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM
My daughter would throw hers up! Her pedi told me to mix with chocolate syrup. I do this every time she has antibiotics and it works.
ardiaxe
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM
If its a medication such as an antibiotic, I request the one that can be taken in smaller amounts fewer times a day. With Tylenol I get concentrated infant drops, it's a less amount. I keep a cup of water handy and tell them to take sips right after. I found that talking through it with lots of reassurance was better than force. Forcing can be traumatizing and can lead to continuous battles.
mkm6612
by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:16 PM
My twins are 2 1/2 and they are constantly on antibiotics or steroids. although they are now so used to taking medicine, there are a few that they still cry about. It has worked for me if I let them give the medicine to themselves. I have also bribed with a sip and then a M&M until it is gone. I went through the throwing up after antibiotics for almost 9 months with one of the girls. Now she is the best medicine taker. I have also had to pin them down to get it in so I know how you feel. Good luck!
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:18 PM
I mix it with applesauce.
deccaf
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:36 PM
We stopped liquid. I had the same problem. We have gone to chewables. A
hspear
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Hide it in food or keep trying to hide it in his juice. Tell him it's a new flavor and make up some fun name for it. Had to do this with SD when she was little.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN