Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

What do you think the earliest I can potty train is?

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:19 PM
  • 18 Replies

I have an almost 19 month old DD and I am due in July with my 3rd baby. I am cloth diapering him and would love to never have to purchase sposies ever again after he gets here. My DD shows interest in the potty, she knows what teetee and poopoo is, she brings me diapers when she needs to be changed etc. My oldest was 2 before we started and I had her pee trained in 3 days, poop took months lol. Anyway so I guess my question is, is it to early to start trying? Should I just put her in panties? Buy a potty for her? I am so out of the loop :-/

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PEEK05
by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I would just try it how you did it with your daughter and see how it goes.  If it works, great.  If not, just hold off and try again later.

katinahat
by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Definitely not too young. My daughter is 18 months and she's been working on potty training-- I'm just introducing her to the potty, though, not expecting her to make it every time. Her friend across the street is 17 months and completely potty-trained. So 19 months definitely isn't too early :)

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, homeschooling, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

http://merrrfamily.blogspot.com/

XOXOnBubbles
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I just potty trained my daughter who just turned 2yrs old.  I know people who have potty trained their girls at 18 months though.  If she is showing interest, I would say go for it. 

I put my daughter straight into underwear (no pull-ups).  I took her to the store and let her help pick them out.  I had a little potty chair for her, salty snacks, special drinks (like juice boxes), and a jar full of gummy bears for rewards.  I also had a carpet cleaner (a small shampooer meant for pet accidents) ready to go.  Then I settled in for two weeks of Potty Training Hell.  LOL. 

I gave her lots to drink and sat her on the potty every 30 min - 1 hour.  After 5 days of cleaning up constant accidents.  "Uh oh!  Pee goes in the potty.  We will try again next time."  Trying to stay positive, and not punishing for accidents...  She finally started peeing in the potty on day 6.  It has been almost a week now with only a few accidents at all.  Yay! 

Good luck! 

bekalynne440
by on May. 11, 2013 at 1:09 PM
I started informal training with dd at 18 months, formal training at 21 months and she has been day time trained since 22 months (she is now 28 months). Just ditch the diapers and leave her in underwear or naked. You can use a plastic diaper cover over underwear for trips out of the house until she gets the hang of it.
.Angelica.
by Angie on May. 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM

my son has been out of diapers since 19 months. it is not too early for some kids.

mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 2:17 PM

It sounds like she's showing signs of being ready to train. Ditch the diapers and give it a try! Good luck!

mandaboo99
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Seems like shes ready to try, even if you just got her a potty and let her know what its for to start. my DD is the same age and every once in a while she will tell me "pee" and ill let her sit on the potty. shes gone twice so far. I figure I'll let her keep doing this until she starts having dry nights and then really train her if she hasnt trained by then. My boys were both 2 when they trained. Good Luck!!!!

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Some people never use diapers ('elongation communication'). So day 1 isn't too early.

You can read 'diaper free before age 3' for tips.

My 2 year old has been diaper free/pants free when home & awake since about 20 months. Our issue is that he can't climb up onto a big potty so we haven't gone out in public without diapers yet (that, plus he pees in underwear sometimes)
wonderstruck11
by on May. 11, 2013 at 6:21 PM
We started at 14 months.
RobynS
by Robyn on May. 11, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I think she's plenty old enough--in fact, I think it's best to train earlier rather than later, before they get too headstrong. I recommend going straight to panties full time. If she seems afraid of the toilet, yes, buy her a potty. Maybe let her help pick one out. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)