Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMG I do not know what to do anymore!

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 9:31 PM
  • 9 Replies

I potty trained my DD while I was pregnant with DS.  She was 2 at the time.  Of course we had our bumps in the road, but we had finally gotten to a place where she really had it.  And then DS was born.  Now all of the sudden she has been peeing in her pants at least twice a day and in her bed constantly.  I don't understand what her problem is.  She actually went and spent the night at  my sisters last night and was fine all night, then I had a baby shower for my sister today and DD was fine the whole time the guests were over, and then as soon as everyone left she peed in her pants.  I don't know what to do anymore, it is makign me crazy, I don't want to put her back in diapers, but I am sick of changing her clothes every a few hours because she just decided to pee all over herself instead of going to the potty.  It has gotten so bad that the other day she was standing INSIDE the bathroom and still peed in her pants.  I am at my wits end with her.  Any advice on how to make this stop happening?  My sister thinks it is to get attention, but what am I supposed to do, ignore my 5 month old so she will stop peeing in her pants?  please help!

by on May. 11, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mypbandj
by Jen on May. 11, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Well, what are you doing when she pees in her pants? How are you reacting?

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 9:55 PM
2 moms liked this
Kids do that when there is a new baby "ur spending more time with the baby so they will act like one too" when the baby is asleep, spend time with her. Tea parties read books, SOMETHING to show her u still love her. i know to us it sounds silly. Of course we still love the older child, but that logic isnt the kids logic
.Angelica.
by Angie on May. 12, 2013 at 12:22 AM

bump

mers-mom
by Member on May. 12, 2013 at 12:48 AM
My daighter now 2 1/2 did this same thingabout 6 mon. Ago. I think itsnormal for kids to have a little relapse, we just madesure to make her try frequently, and i remembered how little she still is. Be patient remember some moms keep their tykes in diapers until their four! Youre ahead of the game mama!
PEEK05
by on May. 12, 2013 at 12:50 AM

I have heard this is normal and one reason why I have waited until my babies were born before even beginning to try really potty training.  I introduce the potty at a young age so they are comfortable with it, then new baby comes, and then I do the potty thing.

ChWuGu
by Member on May. 12, 2013 at 4:03 PM

If I am being honest, not well anymore.  I used to be calm and tell her it was ok and blah blah blah.  But now it just drives me up the walls.  I do not yell, but I send her to time out, and if she does it more than once in a day I will not give her new pants, I just make her run around in clean underwear and a shirt, because I am sick of constantly having to wash her pants.  but last night I put her back in diapers.  We told her that we will take them off if she stops peeing in her pants.  I just don't know what to do

Quoting mypbandj:

Well, what are you doing when she pees in her pants? How are you reacting?

SamuraiQueen
by New Member on May. 13, 2013 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter did the same thing. I potty trained her while I was pregnant, so she was fully trained by the time she turned 2 (before her brother arrived). After my son was born, she started having "accidents," especially when I'm in the middle of bf-ing or pumping so that by the time I got to her, she'd already made a mess. I was also at my wit's end, so I decided to implement a reward/incentive system to motivate her to go potty on her own.

My daughter loves anything "princess," so I bought her a few puzzles and a big princess coloring book with stickers. I also bought a clear jar filled with big red marbles (a reasonable size). I sat her down and told her that I love her and that I'm so proud of her for being able to go to the potty by herself. Now that she's a big sister and has been able to go potty in the toilet, I expected her to keep going in the potty and not on herself or on the carpet. I showed her the puzzles and the princess coloring book and told her that she would earn one of the items when she filled the jar with marbles. I then showed her the jar of marbles and told her that for every time she took herself to the potty, she could put a marble in the jar to fill it (pee=1 marble, poop=2 marbles). I made sure she understood that she would not get a marble if she pees/poops in her underwear and that the fastest way to earn a prize is to keep going to the potty.

Now I know some moms might balk at the idea of a reward system, and some might even see this as bribing, but I don't see it that way. In fact, my daughter got really excited and looked forward to being able to put the marbles in the jar herself. She would get so excited and proud whenever she was able to go potty on her own, and she looked forward to seeing her jar's progress (which was prominently displayed somewhere she could see it). It made her feel like a big girl, and it turned potty time into a fun and exciting time. It also taught her patience through delayed gratification and really earning something by working towards it.

As I mentioned earlier, I did buy 3 different puzzles and a big princess coloring book. We started with the puzzles first. I gave her lots of positive encouragement every time she took herself to the potty and got a marble. Then every time she filled the jar, she got a new puzzle. This meant that she went a full 3 rounds before she was able to play with all of the puzzles I bought. I purposely saved the coloring book for last, because she was most excited about it. It's like saving the biggest prize for a grand finale! lol By doing this, I made sure that enough time has passed that her body got used to feeling when she needed to go potty. Basically, you're training her body to (1) "recognize the signs" and (2) take herself to the potty before an accident happens. Also doing several rounds of the jar system helped her from relapsing back into having "accidents." By the end of it, going to the potty became just another routine for her. Plus the process became more of a fun adventure rather than an "I'm-ready-to-pull-my-hair-out-potty-training" kind of experience. Hope this helps! :)

ChWuGu
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Yeah I like this.  We had a reward system to help her with her attitude since I got pregnant, but she sort of stopped caring.  So now what I did was go and get a bunch of quarters (she loves putting quarters in her piggy bank) and I told her that every week we will empty it and go to the store and see what we can get, but I like the idea of a clear jar, that sounds better.  I might go see if I can find a small clear piggy bank

Quoting SamuraiQueen:

My daughter did the same thing. I potty trained her while I was pregnant, so she was fully trained by the time she turned 2 (before her brother arrived). After my son was born, she started having "accidents," especially when I'm in the middle of bf-ing or pumping so that by the time I got to her, she'd already made a mess. I was also at my wit's end, so I decided to implement a reward/incentive system to motivate her to go potty on her own.

My daughter loves anything "princess," so I bought her a few puzzles and a big princess coloring book with stickers. I also bought a clear jar filled with big red marbles (a reasonable size). I sat her down and told her that I love her and that I'm so proud of her for being able to go to the potty by herself. Now that she's a big sister and has been able to go potty in the toilet, I expected her to keep going in the potty and not on herself or on the carpet. I showed her the puzzles and the princess coloring book and told her that she would earn one of the items when she filled the jar with marbles. I then showed her the jar of marbles and told her that for every time she took herself to the potty, she could put a marble in the jar to fill it (pee=1 marble, poop=2 marbles). I made sure she understood that she would not get a marble if she pees/poops in her underwear and that the fastest way to earn a prize is to keep going to the potty.

Now I know some moms might balk at the idea of a reward system, and some might even see this as bribing, but I don't see it that way. In fact, my daughter got really excited and looked forward to being able to put the marbles in the jar herself. She would get so excited and proud whenever she was able to go potty on her own, and she looked forward to seeing her jar's progress (which was prominently displayed somewhere she could see it). It made her feel like a big girl, and it turned potty time into a fun and exciting time. It also taught her patience through delayed gratification and really earning something by working towards it.

As I mentioned earlier, I did buy 3 different puzzles and a big princess coloring book. We started with the puzzles first. I gave her lots of positive encouragement every time she took herself to the potty and got a marble. Then every time she filled the jar, she got a new puzzle. This meant that she went a full 3 rounds before she was able to play with all of the puzzles I bought. I purposely saved the coloring book for last, because she was most excited about it. It's like saving the biggest prize for a grand finale! lol By doing this, I made sure that enough time has passed that her body got used to feeling when she needed to go potty. Basically, you're training her body to (1) "recognize the signs" and (2) take herself to the potty before an accident happens. Also doing several rounds of the jar system helped her from relapsing back into having "accidents." By the end of it, going to the potty became just another routine for her. Plus the process became more of a fun adventure rather than an "I'm-ready-to-pull-my-hair-out-potty-training" kind of experience. Hope this helps! :)

mammaci
by on May. 19, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Its very common for kids to regress when a new baby comes in the picture.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)