Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Roseola?

Posted by on May. 12, 2013 at 12:05 AM
  • 16 Replies

So, both of my kids have had roseola. I am familiar with it. But I thought it was a one time thing like chicken pox, where once they have it, they won't get it again?

My dd came down with a fever late this morning. She does not appear to be sick, just more tired and has a fever, which is exactly the same way her and my son both acted when we dealt with this before. If she had not had it yet I would swear it was roseola. So, can kids get it twice?

by on May. 12, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CLEKate
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 8:25 AM

The internet is your friend...

“Roseola” is a common illness in children ages 3 months to 4 years and is characterized by fever lasting between 3-7 days, followed by a rash that appears soon after the fever is gone. Roseola is caused by several different virus families including the enteroviruses, adenoviruses, parainfluenza virus. The most common virus that causes roseola is called HHV-6. So, yes, it is possible to get a “roseola-like” illness more than once.

.Angelica.
by Angie on May. 12, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I did google, but was too busy with a grumpy baby to really read. But she woke up this morning and seems to be fever free. didn't even last 24 hours and no rash. so I have no clue what was causing it.

Quoting CLEKate:

The internet is your friend...

“Roseola” is a common illness in children ages 3 months to 4 years and is characterized by fever lasting between 3-7 days, followed by a rash that appears soon after the fever is gone. Roseola is caused by several different virus families including the enteroviruses, adenoviruses, parainfluenza virus. The most common virus that causes roseola is called HHV-6. So, yes, it is possible to get a “roseola-like” illness more than once.

Mipsy
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 2:32 PM
My son had roseola twice, dx both times by Drs. It's not common, but can happen. Same with getting chickenpox more than once. Both my brother and I had them twice as kids
.Angelica.
by Angie on May. 12, 2013 at 3:30 PM

well her fever was gone this morning so she didn't have it for more than about 16 hours. no rash. I'm not sure what it would have been. Can teething cause a fever of almost 102?

Quoting Mipsy:

My son had roseola twice, dx both times by Drs. It's not common, but can happen. Same with getting chickenpox more than once. Both my brother and I had them twice as kids

jendawgrox2004
by Member on May. 12, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I had no idea what this was until last week when my son got it. It scared the crap out of me because he suddenly had this rash and my doctor didn't know what it was. He said either a virus with a rash or an allergic reaction. Then if he vomited I should take him to the ER. Well, he vomited and I did and they told me it was roseola and not to worry. Long story short, I need a new pesiatrician. Good thing we're moving. Anywho, I don't know if it is a one time thing. I was under the assumption it wasn't. That since it's a virus, if it mutates slightly they can get it again.

jendawgrox2004
by Member on May. 12, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I just read your replies and it might have just been a regular virus. Something that ended quickly, but on the other hand. My son's fever ended three days before he got the rash.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Yes teething can cause fevers.

Quoting .Angelica.:

well her fever was gone this morning so she didn't have it for more than about 16 hours. no rash. I'm not sure what it would have been. Can teething cause a fever of almost 102?

Quoting Mipsy:

lillucky8
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 6:03 PM
I think its something they can get multiple times, but when my dd had it her fever was in the 105 range.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on May. 12, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Neither of my kids had a very high fever when they had it.

Quoting lillucky8:

I think its something they can get multiple times, but when my dd had it her fever was in the 105 range.
mkm6612
by on May. 12, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Teething can cause a fever but my children's pediatrician said the temp shouldn't be above 100 with teeth. They are sick all the time but I think they had roseola once.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)