Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

First timeout failed!

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 3:47 PM
  • 32 Replies
My son is almost 2 years old and we've had a huge problem with hitting and biting since the new baby came home. So we decided to try timeout today. Well he had hit me while I was putting the baby down so I picked him up, sat him in his chair and told him he had to sit for one minute because hitting is a no no. He literally laughed the whole time and when he got up he hugged me and said thank you with a huge smile on his face. My kid enjoys timeout!! Now what?
by on May. 13, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Megan11587
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

My son did that.  We switched him to the corner.  He does not like the corner lol

Mommyandme878
by on May. 13, 2013 at 3:50 PM
We tried the chair a few times. We're going to try the corner next, hopefully he doesn't like it lol

Quoting Megan11587:

My son did that.  We switched him to the corner.  He does not like the corner lol

Megan11587
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Yeah, we bought a time out chair and he loved it lol.  Now it sits on our deck and we plop his butt in the corner.   Momma don't mess around :)

Quoting Mommyandme878:

We tried the chair a few times. We're going to try the corner next, hopefully he doesn't like it lol

Quoting Megan11587:

veraxaudeo
by Ashley Nicole on May. 13, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Lol I'm sorry, that made me giggle.
My son is 15 months and when he's in timeout, it's in his pack n play. He can't climb out of it yet, so it works. He doesn't quite understand timeout yet, but he does understand that he doesn't like it.
Mommyandme878
by on May. 13, 2013 at 3:55 PM
We really thought the chair would work maybe he likes it so much because it's his favorite color and has his name on it. Hopefully corner tome works. Thank you for the suggestion!

Quoting Megan11587:

Yeah, we bought a time out chair and he loved it lol.  Now it sits on our deck and we plop his butt in the corner.   Momma don't mess around :)

Quoting Mommyandme878:

Quoting Megan11587:

.Angelica.
by Angie on May. 13, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

time out never worked with my son.

Mommyandme878
by on May. 13, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this
My son has figured out that he can climb out of both his pack n play and his crib. So neither of those worked. Lol

Quoting veraxaudeo:

My son is 15 months and when he's in timeout, it's in his pack n play. He can't climb out of it yet, so it works. He doesn't quite understand timeout yet, but he does understand that he doesn't like it.
IQuitCounting
by on May. 13, 2013 at 3:58 PM

You just have to keep trying until you find the right combination.  For my son it was on his bed.  He hated being in his room alone for some reason (he was fine for bedtime, but not as a punishment *shrug*), he would cry and scream, but it got the point across.  Some kids might be cool with that and just try to play, so you just have to keep looking, get creative.

Megan11587
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

The ONLY hesitation I have with using the pack n play is that we would like to put him in there sometimes while we were doings stuff (mopping, for instance), so we didn't want to associate that with a punishment, KWIM?

Quoting veraxaudeo:

MamaLioness2012
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM

My parents used to make me stand with my nose in the corner. My DS is 16 months and when we need a time out we put him in his room by himself with the door closed to calm down then I listen over the monitor for when he has evened out, but he'll sit and play with his toys alone. Sure I'm not going to take all his toys out everytime there is a time out needed, but until he's older and actually understands better what a time out is, it does the trick :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)