Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Chores!!!!

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 3:53 PM
  • 10 Replies
What type of chores do you think are appropriate for a 8yr old and a 4yr old? I am having a really hard time with discipline also with my two children they will just not listen to anything! I am Due with my third child in 3wks and i am just fed up with how things are going now i can't imagine how things will be with the new baby! I am a nervous wreck and really need some advice to get things in order fast! Anyone?
by on May. 13, 2013 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SnowWhieQueen
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 3:57 PM
2 moms liked this

feeding pets picking up there laundry..folding laundry..matching socks..putting it away...picking up there toys... making there beds...setting the table..clearing there plates off...washing the table...washing windows...

.Angelica.
by Angie on May. 13, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I would think the 8 year old could vacuum, sweep, wipe down surfaces, stuff like that. the 4 year old could likely do most of it too.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 4:25 PM
3 yr old: unload dishes washer (minus glasseware) pick up toy room, bring me his dirty laundry, helps load washer, switch loads and now is learning to help fold his clothes, and put his clothes away. When he writes on walls, i make him clean it up.
8yr old, cleans room, wipes bathroom sink, bring dirty laundry, load dishwasher, fold clothes and put clothes and towels away. Right now she has less because of school. She gets hone at 5off the bus, so homework, supper and bed are her week days
sweetsavannah10
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM

my 3 year old picks up her room, helps me unload the dishwasher, helps me load the dishwasher, helps me with laundry, she tries to help me vacuum (which doesn't really work lol). But a 4 year old and 8 year old would be more than capable of doing all of these tasks and more

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

PEEK05
by on May. 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM

My kids just help me out as I'm cleaning.  That can be picking up the living room, taking a rag and cleaning the shower walls with a water/vinegar mix, putting away toys/books, taking dishes to the sink if they were left on the table, wiping down their chairs, tables, etc.  My kids are 4 and 2.  The 3 month old obviously does not help lol.

LittleCondon
by on May. 14, 2013 at 3:10 PM

My 3 year old really likes to wipe down surfaces so she does a lot of that. She takes our dog water and food, and picks up her toys. She'll also help me put laundry and dishes away.

sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Putting dishes oin the sink, picking up their toys, the 8 year old can sort and fold laundry.  Don't expet to get much done those first few weeks. Good luck! 

boysrjoys2
by on May. 15, 2013 at 10:30 AM
I don't know for an 8 yo but my 4 yo cleans his room, makes his bed, feeds/waters the dog, helps me gather dirty clothes, clears dirty dishes, helps me cook some, waters plants, and cares for his personal hygiene. It all depends what they can handle.
Larsbug
by Laura on May. 15, 2013 at 10:34 AM

DS1 is 4 and his chores include making his bed, feeding the dogs, picking up his toys, putting his dishes away (at least in the sink), and picking up the dogs toys in the backyard 3x's a week (after I pick up the dog poo). Oh and putting his laundry in the hamper when it's dirty and putting away some of his laundry when it's clean such as socks and boxers.

aeroslove
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

im sorry, i can relate. I have a 8 1/2 year old Daughter that thinks the world revolves around her and she is some kind of Queen. She hates picking up after herself, toys, anything... If it comes downt to washing dishes shes okay with that but i dont let anyone wash dishes in my house lol. My oldest over uses the water and takes forever, She still cant reach the sink. My 6 1/2 yr old almost 7 on may 25th is another lazy kid. She wont clean, she has to be told 100 times to do it. She is naturally a messy child and doesnt care about her surroundings. I do most of the cleaning. Im very ocd and i have to make sure its clean. I dont have time to let my kids do it and see that they didnt do a good job. Then i have to do it all over.

Not my style. They have to pick up after there stuff, put away there clothes, make the bed, help pick up toys, give me the dirty laundry. they can throw it in the washer for me. I also have a 3 yr old boy and he helps when he wants. I dont force him though. im 17 weeks due and i am hoping the girls learn to quickly pick up after them selves when i say because i dont have time to carry a newborn and clean. they need to help

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)