Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Help!!! She is 4 and....

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:28 PM
  • 25 Replies
I can't get her to potty train completely!!!!! I don't know what else to try. She is peeing on the toilet all the time I just can't get her to poop on the toilet. She says it hurts. I have taken her to dr he gave her meds to loosen her up and she is going regularly but still not on the toilet. I have sat with her, read books, offered stickers-special snacks. I have tried punishment. I don't know what else to do. Any advice?
by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:47 PM

don't punish.  KEY in potty training.

do you make her clean up her own accidents?  if it has hurt before, she may associate that pain with the potty.  that's not something to punish over, it's something that needs patience and compassion.  have her clean herself up as much as she can.  that's not punishment, it's a natural consequence to her choice.

angelmom0405
by on May. 13, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'm just getting so frustrated with it. You are right I need to have more patience I have never had this problem with potty training. She cries and cries and says she can't when I do make her help. I guess I will make her help every time.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

don't punish.  KEY in potty training.

do you make her clean up her own accidents?  if it has hurt before, she may associate that pain with the potty.  that's not something to punish over, it's something that needs patience and compassion.  have her clean herself up as much as she can.  that's not punishment, it's a natural consequence to her choice.

BlueJane
by on May. 13, 2013 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I just finished up with this. Dd is 4.5. It took a year. It started by getting her used to pooping at all we used warm baths to soften it. Then we encouraged her to use the potty but never forced her. And we rewarded every poop. Then she started (slowly) using the potty to poop. Then she only got stickers and lollipops (her faves) when she went in the potty. She still gets lollipops and huge praise when she tells us she has to poop or just poops without us telling her too. It was a painfully slow process but she has made huge strides and I feel comfortable about her "pooping situation".
mommyofnoah208
by on May. 14, 2013 at 1:04 AM
It is so hard to stay patient, she will get there. Just keep trying, good luck
angelmom0405
by on May. 14, 2013 at 6:49 AM
Thank you

Quoting mommyofnoah208:

la_bella_vita
by Bella on May. 14, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Quoting mommyofnoah208:

This!

PEEK05
by on May. 14, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I would 100% take away diapers, all the way, and not go back.

angelmom0405
by on May. 14, 2013 at 5:49 PM
She has not been in diapers since she was 3 which was when she no longer wet her pants. It has been a year working on pooping in the toilet, which is why I'm getting frustrated. She is my first girl all my 3 boys were completely potty trained by 3.

Quoting PEEK05:

I would 100% take away diapers, all the way, and not go back.

corrinacs
by on May. 14, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Does she still complain that it hurts?  Have you see the doctor lately?  Have you been to a pediatric gastroenterologist?  I'd do all of those things for now :)

12yrmama
by on May. 14, 2013 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Time. She still remembers that it hurts on the potty. Keep using a fiber vitamin- for like,ever! Kids that age have problems even with a good diet, I like the gummy ones from walgreens.

Be low-key. Its impossible, I know. Mine is just 4 yrs and we still have days that she doesn't make it. I bring panties everywhere, never pullups (its confusing). Now she tells me "Oh, well, we can wash it. " And she's right.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN