Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

How do you discipline a 11 month old?

Posted by on May. 14, 2013 at 10:23 PM
  • 13 Replies
Gently.

Dd is starting to bite. When I tell her firmly, No! She giggles at me. Other than telling her no, and removing her from the biting victim, I don't know what else to do. Is there anything else to do?

I'm not willing to bite her back!
by on May. 14, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sophiesmom07
by on May. 14, 2013 at 10:40 PM

That young, I would just keep teling her NO with a firm voice.   Keep pointing out that it hurts the other person.  At that age, not sure what else can be done.

TheartAH
by on May. 14, 2013 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this
As soon as she bites say "No (or stop), that hurts!" With a very firm voice and exaggerated look of seriousness on your face. Pick her up and move her away or walk away. If it is another child that she bites,make sure to give that child the attention not her.
If you keep at it and stay firm she won't be giggling for long.
After she starts to "get it" you can elaborate and model ways to touch gently instead or things that are ok to chew on (depending on the reason behind the biting).
JTE11
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 10:51 PM

When my DD went through biting phases she was almost always teething BUT you still can't let them do that. When she would bite at that age I would tell her "No biting." and then I'd show her how to touch nicely the area she was biting on and then praise her for touching it nicely. I'd say "We don't bite hands, we touch nicely, like this" and then take her hand and show her how to touch it gently (and then praise the heck out of her). I also would give her a teething toy or chewy tube at that moment, because  I realized she probably needed to bite on something because of her teeth. Kids that age are getting heavily into cause and effect and also are learning what TO do so if you redirect her chewing if she has to chew and also show her that she gets lots of praise for touching nicely instead of biting, it shoudl\\ld decrease over time. I'd also add that I wouldn't get very excited about getting bitten because even  if you're saying "No biting!"  if you are acting excited or yelling , your reaction could be enough to reinforce it to make her want to do it again. ALso, praise her when she chews on her chewy toys. When she bites you just be very calm, look her in the eye and say "No biting" in a low voice, and then proceed to show her what to do. It takes a while but they do eventually realize biting is boring and it's more rewarding to touch nicely and to chew what you want her to chew instead of people.

.Angelica.
by Angie on May. 15, 2013 at 12:41 AM

at that age that was all I've ever done.

nicki.hemingway
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Redirect and say no.  Too young for discipline.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 1:20 AM

keep doing what you are doing.  look her straight in the eye and put on your best "mommy is disappointed in you" voice when you tell her "we do NOT bite"

ilana_ny
by on May. 15, 2013 at 1:29 AM
1 mom liked this
My DD was a biter. She started at around 12-18m and went on till she was around 2-3yo. Nothing helped. When I whould tell her no she whould laugth at me and think it is all a joke. She whould bite everyone, me, my DS, her cousins. I had enough one day when she bit her brother so hard he almost started bleeding.
(I know I will get bashed for it but) I bit her back, not too hard, but to let her realize that what she does is not funny, that biting hurts. She stopped biting that day.
MyVavies
by on May. 15, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Go right to the victim first! Go all out pretending crying and comforting the one that got bitten ignoring her. Do this for a few minutes. Then turn to her and say in a ferm voice 'NO we don't bit!".  Then it's right back to the victim again.But just remember, it's all about the victim. 

If she is all quite and shocked that you gave so much attention to the victim, then have her go get a icepack to the one she bit and you comfort the one that got bitten... even if they aren't upset.

Once that is all done. Get down in eye level with her and say in a calm sad voice " biting hurts, we don't bite...if you feel like biting bit this (give teething ring)." Because she is probably teething anyways.

It sounds like she is wanting more of your attention. If you give it to the victim.. this will shock her.

boysrjoys2
by on May. 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM
At that age for something mild it was "no" for something bigger (like biting) timeout for 1 minute. They understand enough that it worked for us.
BlueJane
by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:01 AM
I figured all I can really do is say No. It's not too bad right now. I just don't want it getting any worse! I think she's only doing it because she likes chewing. So I'll try and redirect her to her chewing toys. I just feel sorry for her older sister. We try and make her be gentle with the baby and it's tough I see the baby turn around and hurt her. Even if she doesn't mean it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN