Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Body parts

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 11:12 AM
  • 21 Replies

Poll

Question: Do/did you teach your child the proper names for body parts at an early age?

Options:

Yes, of course. It's natural.

No. That's inapropriate.

Other: please explain.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 37

View Results

Do you teach your child/children the correct names for body parts? For example, do you refer to your childs parts as vagina, nipples, penis rather than calling it a nickname? My DD (2 1/2 years) has started touching he nipples and "examining" them. She notices that mommy and daddy have them to. I told her they are called nipples and for her, they will one day turn into breasts like mommy's. Well, my mom and sister heard her say nipples as she was touching hers to show them that she knew what they were. They freaked out and told her not to say that. Really? Come on. I can't teach my child about the body parts she has that are completely normal? Just like DD will pat our breasts and say boobs and they will tell her not to say that. What is she supposed to call them? Bags of skin?!

by on May. 16, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RheaF
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Yes, I do not believe in calling your body parts cutesy names. When we are out in public they refer to them as their privates.

mommyofnoah208
by on May. 16, 2013 at 12:15 PM
For the most part
PEEK05
by on May. 16, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Yes we do.

STVUstudent
by on May. 16, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

yes, and let me add something... one of the moms on out t-ball team, whose son is my boy's best friend, is a kindergarten teacher here in the city.  She has a couple of little girls in her class whose behavior would lead one to think they had been abused... but when they were questioned, they gave cutsie names for the vaginal area and anus... the school reported it to CPS, but because the children could not tell them using proper terminology, they said there was nothing they could do... a 6 year old girl sticking a lolipop in her underpants and inviting boys to lick her sweet spot...

My boy has just started calling his penis a weiner... I guess that is the name of choice among the kindergarten boys, but I reminded him that it is a penis, not a weiner... (which gets plenty of giggles).

RobynS
by Robyn on May. 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM

We have made everything so taboo in this country. Sheesh! Of course, they should know what they're called. :)

On a funny note, my DD says nibbles instead of nipples! I think she has corrected it now, but the first time she got in the bathtub and looked down and said, "Look, Mom! I found my nibbles!" I lost it! LOL

la_bella_vita
by Bella on May. 16, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Yes

emkirkley
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 4:16 PM

for most body parts, yes we do--for the little girls I don't tell them that they have a vagina and daddy has a penis...I do start discussing things about 7 or 8 with them in real word terms...but until them it's your girl or lady parts and daddy has boy parts...that's about the extent of it, but yes, my girls know nipples, breasts, boobs (I nursed the youngest for 20 months)...

cookinmommyof1
by on May. 16, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Ds knows all the proper names but still chooses to call his penis a winky, dingy, or pito
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IQuitCounting
by on May. 16, 2013 at 4:31 PM

We use the correct terms with our son, although I have trouble with female parts because frankly when we just call it a vagina that's misleading.  I mean, there are all sorts of parts involved, more than for a boy, and saying vagina is only part of it.  Good thing I didn't have a girl, I'd likely confuse the poor thing trying to be all accurate, lol.  But for the most part none of the specifics of girls really come up seeing as how he has no need to examine them *shrug* but we do call boobs that or breasts, and a penis is a penis... well, my husband calls it junk, but our son knows what the correct name is as well as the slang.

CelestialSong
by on May. 16, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I do. My daughter will point out things (not just body parts but everything) that she wants to know the name of, and I tell her the proper names. Although vagina isn't exactly right (since that's only the internal part) but I'm honestly not sure what else to call it. And she does call my breasts "beebees" but I don't discourage that because she's still nursing and likes to talk about them, and it's a little less awkward for her to use that word. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN